Installing KryoFlux in Windows 8 / 10

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
Dominus

Re: Installing KryoFlux in Windows 8 / 10

Post by Dominus » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:43 pm

brightcaster wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:18 am
I'm sorry but bootcamp is not a plain windows machine!

It's emulating a BIOS within an EFI environment for example and it comes up with its own hardware drivers for USB. Over the years, there are several problems with usb ports reported which don't apear with "real" hardware (use google if you don't believe it)...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_Camp_(software)
On *OLD* Macs it emulates a BIOS, *AND* I did write that bootcamp is helping to get a regular Windows booting on a Mac - apparently that is not even needed on newer Macs.
For example, I did not prepare my USB hard drive with Bootcamp and can choose that to boot from on my Mac.

And whenever was supplying its own hardware drivers something that makes a machine not a Windows machine? Not to mention that your so called "Apple hardware drivers" for USB are just Intel's drivers...
Again, as mentioned above, I can boot my USB harddrive and use it and its usb drivers without installing *anything* from Apple (though it is easier to use if you install the graphics drivers, but even these can be newer drivers from AMD.

robbo007

Post by robbo007 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:04 pm

I can confirm this works under boot camp windows 10. But you must follow exactly as stated below otherwise the driver does not get recognized and you get stuck in an endless loop and can’t install it.

“OK found a stable solution.
Open the device manager. Normally you should find under USB controller the Kryoflux DiskSystem
If instead you have under Port (COM LPT) an entry for "Bosso Program Port (ComXX)" double click and go to to "driver" tab and "Update driver". Select look for driver on my computer. Do not select look for the driver BUT "select from a list of driver on my PC". Now you should have the choice between "Bossa ..." and "KF ..." of course pick KF and click "disk provided" and locate the diver provided with KF
Now the driver should install and stay associated with KF. Restart your system with the internet connected and verify in the device driver that the entry for KF Disksystem is there ...”

robbo007

Post by robbo007 » Wed May 08, 2019 1:59 pm

SomeGuy wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:33 pm
So just to be clear: Does Kryoflux work or not work under Windows 10/bootcamp on current Mac hardware?

Is this MacOS 10.13/10.14 bug the the same or a different bug than the one that broke things in 10.11?

(I wouldn't know, the only Macs I have are PowerPC :P )

Could someone post the technical details of this bug, or post a link to it if is out there somewhere already? (I thought I saw a post about that a long time ago, but a bit of searching turns up nothing specific)
Is the "bug" the reason why I see under /dev/ my Kryoflux USB driver as tty.usbmodem1101 instead of using its driver? Is this the reason DTC gives the error:

DarwinUSBComm::FindEP: error while opening e00002c5
System 38, subsystem 0, code 2c5
USB endpoint not found

Could someone confirm this. It's really frustrating not having clear answers to these questions. I have various ktext files in my /System/Library/Extensions/ and also /Library/Extensions could one of these be conflicting with the Kryoflux driver? Does it use a ktext file of its own?

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Sat May 11, 2019 1:07 pm

We can't support emulated (or similar) installs, I am really sorry.

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster » Sat May 11, 2019 2:05 pm

robbo007 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:59 pm

I have various ktext files in my /System/Library/Extensions/ and also /Library/Extensions could one of these be conflicting with the Kryoflux driver? Does it use a ktext file of its own?
I gues you are talking about kext files....

If you search for "kext" in this forum, you may find useful information that kryoflux once used a kernal extension. As long as you have never installed such outdated kryoflux software, there should be no kryoflux.kext file on your computer.

David