Please test: SLOW firmware

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
mr.vince

Please test: SLOW firmware

Post by mr.vince »

There have been some people having problems with using the calibration command -c2 to detect the max. track their drive can access.

Therefore, we have compiled a special slow version of the firmware. It does not bring new features, only use if you are having trouble with a drive not responding (device does not accept commands).

http://releases.softpres.org/kryoflux/d ... e_slow.zip

Please make sure you backup your "old" firmware first. Due to really slow stepping and long head settling times stepping will sound ugly. For the record: The timings used here are from a service manual for a disk drive dated 1977. ;)

EDIT: Please make sure to RESET the board (only red led on) so the new firmware will be loaded upon next access!

mr.vince

Re: Please test: SLOW firmware

Post by mr.vince »

Ok, another one, with modified timings for TRK00 detection, but little faster stepping. Please try:

http://releases.softpres.org/kryoflux/d ... low_v2.zip

Remember to RESET your board if it already has a firmware loaded.

Interceptor

Post by Interceptor »

this has fixed the stepping of my 3" CPC drive.

i can now dump from a start track of 38 and end track of 41 and it seeks correctly every time. it also appears to reset to trk0 consistently correctly now too.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

Awesome. So we can finally put 3" on the list as well.

dlfrsilver

Post by dlfrsilver »

I have dumped and upload Le Necromancien from ubisoft 1987 to the server as RAW dump (both sides).

You can now have fun with the tricky copy protection it uses :D.

another hint, no emulator out there is able to run this game as original.

Can't wait to hear what the protection is doing and why it can't run on any emulator :)

IFW

Post by IFW »

The dump is bad, so please redump it using the slowest firmware if possible/works with your drive.
Aside from that, from what I can see anyway the protection is rather inventive, using data that can only be written by duplicators, pretty much random header data on track 40 etc.

dlfrsilver

Post by dlfrsilver »

I used the slowest firmware.

I replace firmware.bin with the new one in the folder.

what is bad and can you explain a bit more about the disk format ?

IFW

Post by IFW »

The drive produced a speed glitch, but for whatever reason it was not redumped; maybe -i4 option was not set.
As for the format, tracks I checked have an additional block that contains fdc control code; sector size changed, random header values on 40.x, repeated sector number on 0.x; plus additional data that cannot be written, it's questionable whether the encoding there is supposed to produce weak bits or not...