"could not communicate with kryoflux hardware"

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
brightcaster

Re: "could not communicate with kryoflux hardware"

Post by brightcaster »

The Kryoflux hardware should come up as USB device "Atmel Corp. at91sam SAMBA bootloader". DTC changes that after the firmware gets loaded to "www.softpress.org KryoFlux DiskSystem" and the LEDs start flashing.

If you get something different a wrong driver gets loaded!

Is there any kind of atmel development kit (AVR, ATmega, Arduino etc.) installed which is causing the wrong driver to be loaded?

David

JohnJAkron

Post by JohnJAkron »

Thanks very much for the reply.

I checked just now - when the kryoflux is plugged into the mac, it is recognized on the USB tree as "communication device ...vendor ID 0x03eb (Amtel corporation)"

I searched for amtel on the mac and didnt find anything, however there is a bluetooth app called "AVRCPagent.app"

Could this be causing an issue in regards to proper driver loading? Is there a way to quality control for all of this?

Thanks again, very appreciated.

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

To be honest I have no further idea at the moment. I think that there is a KEXT (KErnel EXtension) on your machine which gets mistakingly connected to the kryoflux board as soon as you plug it in, and therefor preventing DTC to load the firmware.

Do you have a Windows VM installed on that machine? Than it should be possible to load the firmware while the USB-port is connected to the VM via windows. After releasing the USB-port from the VM it should show up as "Kryoflux" to MacOS and should be recognized correctly (this should not be misunderstood as a workaround but as a test).

BTW: What's the version of DTC and the KryoFlux GUI you use? (Should be shown on the information window if you start the GUI). I think you have to use DTC v.2.62 to get it running with MacOS 10.7, but that will not affect the underlying driver problem I guess...

David

JohnJAkron

Post by JohnJAkron »

Thanks very much for the response. I have approximately 20 KEXTs on the machine. I don't have a windows VM.

I guess the question is - should I delete some of the KEXTs / drivers or install a windows VM as discussed above? What would be easier/safer ? (I only use this mac for archiving) And what Window VM?

I have GUI and DTC v2.62 installed

Thanks again, very appreciated.