Errors Attempting To Write Stream Files

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
Orkney

Re: Errors Attempting To Write Stream Files

Post by Orkney » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:45 pm

Thanks to all who helped out with this, the solution turns out to be something I did not expect.

Having had nothing but trouble with my attempts to write stream files using Kryoflux, I truly appreciate all of the time forum members put into trying to help me overcome my problems.

So here is what seems to be the catch - when I read in the floppies (original post), I did not have access to a Windows machine, as I write Mac software, but my Mac Pro 2011 had a fine, working bootcamp partition with XP. So using XP, I read in the floppies from that PPG Waveterm A library. But that seems to be the problem. I borrowed a friends "Real" PC, an Asus motherboard build running Windows 7, and was able to use Kryoflux to read in and write out a DOS floppy with no issue.

So it would seem the broken part of the link was using the Mac Pro booted as a Windows machine. Thus, sadly, my PPG Waveterm A stream files are junk (much as users suspected).

Thanks again to all who posted suggestions that helped me figure out where the problem was.

If anyone is curious to see what a properly streamed Waveterm A disk looks like, the stream files are here: https://www.dropbox.com/transfer/cap_pi ... mucpmo294o

Bruce

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:05 pm

That's a weird one. One can only wonder what in that setup could've messed up the data.

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:16 pm

Yes, that's really odd!

BTW, the last raw-image you posted contains some interesting mfm sectors on the last tracks beside the fact that the rest is all fm code. It looks as if thats the reason why it's not enough to copy the first 77 tracks to get working copies...

David

Orkney

Post by Orkney » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:37 pm

Just out of curiosity, what might be a good approach to flux these kinds of disks should I ever got a chance to meet up with a library like that? Just straight preservation format?

Thanks again

Bruce

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:37 pm

Interesting. My suspicion is that there is some electrical problem with the Mac Pro 2011, or what you were powering the drive along with it. That would explain the noise seen in the images.

Not that long ago I had an issue with a failing capacitor on a video card. The entire machine worked fine, but the floppy drive had constant problems reading. Eventually, I figured out that removing the video card solved the problem, and this video card model had known issues with capacitors failing, and putting noise on the power. I suspect using a KF in that machine with that video card might result in a similar noisy dump.

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:01 pm

In the future reading those disks might work better if the parameters are set to values proper to the disk format so a blind reading wouldn't be a problem and the results are instant.

Orkney

Post by Orkney » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:34 pm

Agreed, any suggestions?

Thanks

Bruce

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:59 pm

It could be that in the future reading with the following options everything works ok:

DTC -p -ffile_ -i -ffile.img -i4 -l8