can Kryoflux opensource DTC (windows and linux)

3rd Party Software, Tools & Add-ons for KryoFlux
sTe

can Kryoflux opensource DTC (windows and linux)

Post by sTe » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:16 pm

I have some issues with the way DTC works. I've posted about this in the forums.

i've emailed SPS was redirected to here.
i've emailed support here, and a named person I was in contact earlier in the year when I was looking to buy a kryoflux. But I receive deadly silence.

For the most part of Kryoflux it works, but in a real world I get disks that need some special help.

I'm posting this to see if the software could be open sourced to Github. Or a SDK or something that developer type people could use.

I am not saying i could do a lot, as I know there are a lot of clever people here. But I am good at copy / paste moving code around.

I just think it would be nice if we as a community could feed changes back into the master branch.
Also real bugs could be documented to github, which then could be addresses when someone has the time.

Anyways, if there is a way to get access to the source. Please let me know.
I know there are other tools like opendtc that I am yet to take a look at ... but I would rather we build on the existing tools here. Or if anyone knows any code to get started, I'd give anything chance... youd keep me quiet for a long time :)

I know this is probably not going to go anywhere, but at least I have aired my concerns and wishes going forward. Anyone reading this, thanks for taking the time.

To the developers many thanks, from the kryoflux community.

ZrX

Re: can Kryoflux opensource DTC (windows and linux)

Post by ZrX » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:19 pm

Opensourcing is highly unlikely due to the commercial nature of the product.

There's also a lot of work being done behing the scenes with the next "DTC" to make it a much more versatile utility in the future. But patience is needed. :)

sTe

Post by sTe » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:23 am

Thats at least encouraging about potential future versions.

If you have a contact in the devs, I'd like to reach out to discuss some of the issues / ideas I've had.
Not to pester them or ask for previews / deadlines etc ... but to give my honest feedback and problems / thoughts I've had.

I understand that open source isnt a very likely option. But from what I understand, if your commercial ... you cant just buy the hardware product, you need to declare and pay for a commercial license. The same software from what I understand works on the commercial / non commercial product.

If there was some code I could buy, heres how to interface, heres how to read some tracks ... I'd still love the option to give it a go.

Anyways, all in all ... just wanting to help and improve DTC if we can.
Thanks again for your time in replying.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:20 pm

Feedback is always welcome, and whatever you write here is seen by the devs. However, we won't be having an open source discussion here. It's a ship that has long sailed for this project. If there's a sane reason, things can be arranged without making this open source - there's not just black and white.

sTe

Post by sTe » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:54 pm

Ok, whats the best way... should I open a new thread called "wish list" or something for DTC?

I have some thoughts / ideas that I havent documented.
I dont want to come across annoying :) So appreciate best way forward.

Regards

Stephen

Rakki

Post by Rakki » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:21 pm

Feel free to use "Feature requests" section on forums in order to submit your ideas regarding to DTC.

viewforum.php?f=4