RAW file reader / Maybe converter to ADF?

3rd Party Software, Tools & Add-ons for KryoFlux
sTe

RAW file reader / Maybe converter to ADF?

Post by sTe » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:16 pm

So ... one of my gripes at the moment when I rip -i0 -i5 for example ... raw file, with ADF format guiding...
it reports errors, and when combined with -t for retries you can end up with a raw track worse than when you started.

51.1 : AmigaDOS: <error>, trk: 103, sec: 11, bad: 1
51.1 : AmigaDOS: <error>, trk: 103, sec: 11, bad: 8
51.1 : AmigaDOS: <error>, trk: 103, sec: 11, bad: 5

The result track Track51.1.raw records the 5 bad sectors, whereas at the start I had 10 good sectors, with 1 bad. However, you dont know which sectors it couldnt read properly ... maybe if I combine the 3 raw files above, i might have 11 good (I know wishful thinking).

Im trying to find work arounds... so looking for anyone here that might help.
I have a script, that monitors on file creation, I can kick in pssuspend tool to pause dtc.exe from retrying / overwriting the file. From here, i'd like to read the raw file in ... not sure what is available to read what was good or what was bad... I dont know if the RAW file has to be converted to ADF to determine this.

I know i've used keirf disk utilities in the past, under WSL to convert files around ... and I know this will report track / sectors that have problems. I dont want to muddy my script with introducing WSL in the mix ... but I have a feeling im going to have to go down this avenue.

Does anyone know if there are any batch scripts for reading RAW files, what is available ... can I determine which sectors are bad? From this, I can work around the problems I am having with kryoflux.

Can anyone help?

SomeGuy

Re: RAW file reader / Maybe converter to ADF?

Post by SomeGuy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:30 pm

This is why I normally start with a preservation stream dump. That first read can sometimes be the last. The stream dump can then be fed back in to the Kryoflux software and decoded. If there are errors, then I inspect/clean the disk and either retry the problematic track(s) or re-dump the entire thing.

I find guided dumps only useful when there are lots of errors, but in those cases manual intervention is usally required anyway.

sTe

Post by sTe » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:11 pm

Think it depends on batches of disks / conditions for me.

I like preservation format, but I loose the ability to check if the tracks are good as I rip them.
My main go to, if disks are in a semi good condition ... is a
-i0a -i5 -t1 -tc1 -r2 -- get me a quick / dirtyish dump as quick as I can.

After this, my script reports back which tracks are bad, and so then Ill try a few -i0 after ... hoping to fix a few more tracks. But doesnt seem to be a miracle worker for me... helps a few along.

And then Ill move onto :
-i0a -i5 -t20 -tc2 -r5
-i0 -i5 -t20 -tc5 -r5

Within the "repair-floppy" script, I can customise for more retries / more cycles, and have -r go from -r1 ... -r10 (-i0a -i5), and -r5 ... -r10 (-i0 -i5).

Sometimes i find format guided seems to do things that even preservation cant? Something I am yet to try is to try cleaning the disks. Looking this week to find some microfiber clothes... possibly some iso 99% ... would like to try water first time... use the iso for really bad disks.

When I run the repair parts, I have to save those to a sub folder ... because I dont want to overwrite an error track, with now what could become "unformatted". I check these files, and move them to be with the first rip if the track is good.

My next version of script that I am working on ...

In windows / powershell, I can setup a listener for new created files.
Each cylinder gets saved into its own unique named folder (using new-guid). This allows every retry on a bad cylinder to get saved into its own folder. At the end of the rip, I run a DTC on each folder, to see if it is a "good" track or bad. If good, move to main folder. If bad, keep it in this folder, and then create a ADF file.

I wish to read this ADF file, and see if eg .. Track10.1.raw -> Demo.adf ... how many sectors it seems to have written... and determine which are good. The script will rename this folder to 10.1 Good - 01,02,03,05,06,07,10,11. Hopefully with the other "retries" ... each in its own folder, I might get a more filled out sector, or I might be able to merge these good sectors into one master ADF... or it might be duplicate and so can delete.

I wish though that DTC would inject good sectors into the RAW file if it already exists on disk. At the moment, every retry, you are potentially loosing Good sectors.

The other complaint, is that DTC when format guided wont let you target side 0 or side 1 ... you are forced to read a side that you are not concerned about... but might start reading bad... and so you have to sit until it gives up, so it can read the side your interested in.

Anyways, thanks for listening ... I value your input SomeGuy, in your earlier posts to me ... always very helpful.

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:13 pm

The problem of saving the read with least errors is annoying in case of attempting recovery.

I guess things work like they do because KF/DTC was initially meant for preservation of factory-state originals in most pristine condition, and disks with errors are only useful in stitching together good dumps in case only multiple bad disks of the same title were available.

I sometimes try with read errors physically pushing the heads towars the outer or inner tracks. Sometimes it helps getting a good full track, sometimes it doesn't. It all depends how bad the possible damage is.

sTe

Post by sTe » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:32 am

Might be annoying, but most annoying is when you get 10 good sectors, 1 bad sector ... and then on the next retry you get 6 good sectors, and 5 bad sectors. In a way, the good sectors just be inserted into the RAW / ADF file as it finds them. I know some Amiga programs do this... DiskRipper ... it will read a track, take the good sectors and inject that into the ADF file. Bad sectors get written with -= BAD SECTOR =- ... or something like that. On the next retry reading the disk, it already knows which track / sector needs reading and tries various drive actions to get a better read. If you come back a few days later, and wish ... you can point it to the ADF file, and it will scan for the markers -= BAD SECTOR =- ... and knows only to concentrate on these areas.

Yeah the preservation stuff I understand, but even disks I have scanned ... they still contained errors (as well as the weak sectors for protection).

Im still working on what hardware options I have on the disk, notice slightly ejecting the disk / and read other options like yours have helped.

My biggest gripes are loosing good sectors, due to re-tries.
And not being able to target which side to image when using format guided captures ie -i0 -i5 and -i0a -i5.

At least for the moment, I get the feeling that there isnt much I am doing wrong.
I can script around most of my issues, just ... some DTC side issues makes it difficult for me.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply. Always good to have a chat / cup of coffee :)

dlfrsilver

Post by dlfrsilver » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:11 pm

the only way to avoid all this mess is to clean up the disk. Most of the time, errors happens due to mould (something it's not even eye visible !).