Old CNC system floppy copying

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
GuntisK

Old CNC system floppy copying

Post by GuntisK » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:02 pm

Hi to everyone! :)
I have a late 80s CNC machine where system is loaded from 3.5'' floppies. Problem here is that after loading software it is kept in memory that has a battery backup. If machine isnt powered for some time memory is lost after two or three days. :cry: I have only one set of system file floppies, so Im thinking about making a backup copie. These are formatted under CP/M format and there is no way to copy those under DOS or Windows. Is KryoFlux capable of making exact copy of floppie in this case?
With regards-
Guntis

ZrX

Re: Old CNC system floppy copying

Post by ZrX » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:09 pm

KryoFlux doesn't care about the format which is used. As long as the disk are originally written in certain way (tracks are aligned to the index signal), they can be blindly read and written back to fresh disks, given that the disks are still in ok condition.

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:13 pm

If you do have a DOS based system, you can also try ImageDisk: ttp://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm

That can be used to image and copy many non-DOS disk formats. It only reads FM or MFM encoded disks and does not usually duplicate copy protection, but usually works for this kind of thing.

GuntisK

Post by GuntisK » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:49 pm

As far as I remember there was a try to use ImageDisk with no success. I have IBM Thinkpad 380D with DOS and different disc copy programs. No luck with them (and I think its because of that CP/M format - PC even dont see a floppy presence there :( ).
About KryoFlux- so it is possible to connect almost any off-the shelf floppy drive to board and give it a try?

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:38 pm

It would be easier to give advice if you tell us about the type of cnc machine. Many of them are also covered by the hxc system at https://hxc2001.com/showroom/index.html...

David

GuntisK

Post by GuntisK » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:17 pm

brightcaster wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:38 pm
It would be easier to give advice if you tell us about the type of cnc machine.
No secrets here- its a wire EDM Mitsubishi DWC-110H. Floppy drive installed there is from Y-E DATA YD-685C1500C. What I have found that this is some sort of rare and in some ways specific drive. No data sheets, no other info- as usual. I already know that there is emulator for this particular machine. But!!! That's for half a price for what I get this EDM (machine is in fully working state and with spare parts)... :roll: Im not ready to invest such large amount of money at the moment just to feel safe if something happens to original floppies (set consists of three, system is the main one, others I can format and create in machine). And yeah- suggestions like: go and buy a new from Mitsu doesn't work here- CNCs and metalworking is my hobby, its not a factory here. ;) Looking to make one or other copie just for myself.
Guntis

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:57 pm

Standard PC diskdrive should do just fine with KF.

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:25 pm

I stuck now, having also read your thread on the chipmaker.ru forum. But I'm also very shure that the kryoflux will read and write the raw data of theese floppies as long as there is no obscure copy protection involved.

To be 99,9% shure you may have a look at the chip on the disk controller card which should be a FD1771 compatible https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Digital_FD1771.

David

GuntisK

Post by GuntisK » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:40 am

Yes-Im here thanks to chipmaker.ru forum. ;) After trying different copying programs with no luck it seems that KryoFlux is the only way to go. I really have doubts that there is some sort of protection- its more like a manufacturer proprietary formatting. The same goes for MAZAK (their electronics and CNC systems are from Mitsubishi)- their floppies cannot be read/written on standard PCs because of formatting and some non-standard floppy drive settings. Thats what I have found during internet research.

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:00 am

I've seen an old manufacturer preformatted floppy from some teletype machine where the disk had a hidden track containing a serial number without which the machine doesn't accept the disk.

Lately I've also been looking into an old oscilloscope for a friend where a manufacturer preformatted disk is required and so far no disks have been found.