Req: Retry after Imaging

Have an idea how to make KryoFlux even better? Let us know...
sTe

Req: Retry after Imaging

Post by sTe » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:53 pm

One of the things I like to do is use the -r2 command -- when imaging lots of Amiga disks, this is a great help to speeding up the imaging process.

One problem I get, is now and again a disk comes with "history" and so I find sometimes I have to try imaging the disk a few times, moving on and coming back and imaging it again. Most cases the second time seems to help ... even though I try having -t10 -tc3 for example to keep retrying when it sees bad tracks. But this means re-imaging the whole disk again if I want to image it again..

What I'd like to do ...
Im keen to image the disk fast, id like to not retry anything on bad tracks and get some sort of image / data from the disk. I'd like to afterwords, be able to resume and retry (be it then, or a few days later) those bad tracks... with more retries, maybe -r5 etc.

At the moment, I cannot re-pair known bad tracks afterwords ... if i use the -s54 -e54 the whole ADF file is blanked apart from that track.

Is there any option that can be added to scan the log file for where the track errored completely and to re-try those ones again? And merge those tracks into an existing ADF file?

SomeGuy

Re: Req: Retry after Imaging

Post by SomeGuy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:37 pm

It sounds like what you want to do is create a format guided flux stream dump at the same time you decode your image. From the GUI, one just selects "multiple" as the format, then "Kryoflux Stream Files, format guided" in addition to whatever decoded image format you want. The manual has instructions for doing that with the DTC command line.

You can then take a flux stream dump and feed it back in to the kryoflux software by specifying the file as the source rather than a physical drive.

Occasionally you can feed the stream dump in to third party tools that may have more success figuring out what the content of a damaged sector should be.

Having the stream dump from an initial read can become important if the disk rips itself up. It may be the best read you get, and a flux stream at least offers a chance at reconstructing valid data.

Since the Kryoflux stores each track in a flux stream dump as an individual ".raw" file, you can later make a second dump re-reading just one track, again as format guided. If the read succeeds you can copy that track's .raw file over the one in your original and then re-decode the original to an image file without having to re-read the physical disk.

Personally, I typically just start with a flux stream preservation dump, rather than guided, and then analyze/decode it. But that can get tedious if lots of retrying is needed.

sTe

Re: Req: Retry after Imaging

Post by sTe » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:46 pm

Sorry didnt get back before, been busy imaging some disks.

Not sure that is what I am after? But will take a look once im caught up with the last few boxes, and left with a box of "problem" disks.

I'd like to dump direct to ADF, with the fastest and quickest method I can ... something like -r2 -t1 -tc1 -i5... And then, once thats dumped any errors in a log file, then repair the ADF specific tracks with a more deeper scan, something like -r10 -t10 -tc3. At the moment if I try to specify the tracks the need repairing eg ... 45 top side, and point it to the same ADF file I already captured ... all the other tracks get blanked. It would be nice if DTC could merge fixes into an existing file. The only other way would be to rip each problem track to its own ADF ... and then some tool to inject that into the master one? Any recommendations?

I suppose at the end of the day, I do have the option to create a preservation file, and act on that ... just was thinking of the quickest way to capture / repair (if possible). Its nice to image an ADF in 2 mins, but I guess problem disks need a more thorough scan.

Can I message you if I get any problem disks, and seek deeper knowledge / tips you might have?