New Kryoflux, unable to get it to work

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
ZarkonD

New Kryoflux, unable to get it to work

Post by ZarkonD » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:47 pm

Hi,

I just bought a kryoflux a few weeks ago to back up my 5.25 disk collection after hearing that the disks are starting to die.

So far I have had no luck getting it to work. Initially I assumed it was the 5.25 drive that I bought (as I have no other way to test the drive), so I ordered another one. But I have very similar problems with the other one.

With both drives, when I run dtc -c2 for the second time I get
"Control command rejected by the device
CM: maxtrack=0".

If I try to calibrate in the kryoflux gui, I normally get an immediate error "Error: Could not communicate with floppy drive". But the floppy drive makes plenty of noise at this point, so something seems to be getting communicated? I did, (once) have the blue motor light on for more then a second with one of the drives, but after 15 seconds it still errored out, this time with "mode command failed". I hear new device noise when calibration starts, but I have tried it with device manager opened, and there are no weird devices popping up. I did initially have an issue with bossa popping up when I was running dtc -c2 the second time, but I managed to point that to the kryoflux driver and haven't had that issue since.

I've attached some pictures of the setup and my two floppy drives in case that helps. The AMP connector seems a bit loose (see pic), there's a bit of travel for the individual cables to move about in there, but everything powers on. Not sure if that's normal. I tested calibration with the drive lever lowered and raised. I'm afraid my knowledge on this isn't what it should be, as I haven't used a 5.25" drive since the early nineties.

I don't seem to be able to add attachments, so here's a link to some pictures I took:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/69gzlqqx ... yo.7z/file

OS is windows 10. Any help would be appreciated.

SomeGuy

Re: New Kryoflux, unable to get it to work

Post by SomeGuy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:26 pm

It is hard to see in the photos, but it looks like you may just have the floppy cable backwards. Sometimes cables are not even polarized right, so it is important to double check.

Are you saying the first calibration try actually succeeds?

When you do a calibrate test, the following should happen:
- The floppy drive activity light should come on
- The motor should start running (at least if a disk is in the drive)
- The head should seek towards the center of the disk
- The head should return to track zero
- Seeking will repeat several times until the maximum track is found.

If it stops somewhere during this process, exactly where does it stop?

Also, if these drives were used on something besides an IBM PC, you might need to check and change jumpers on the floppy drive. Search for the manual for your specific revision (different revisions of the same model often have different jumpers) and compare them.

ZarkonD

Post by ZarkonD » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:58 pm

Hiya, Here is a link to a photo with a closer look at the ribbon at both ends. I thought I went by the guide for the sides the red line that data line 1 is supposed to be on. Is it wrong?

https://imgur.com/EyJXaB4

edmaul69

Post by edmaul69 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:37 am

ZarkonD wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:58 pm
Hiya, Here is a link to a photo with a closer look at the ribbon at both ends. I thought I went by the guide for the sides the red line that data line 1 is supposed to be on. Is it wrong?

Is the cable not keyed at floppy drive? It is backwards plugged into the drive. I have the exact same drive and the cable is flipped pink and cable twist is on the right side

edmaul69

Post by edmaul69 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:48 am

Here a pic of mine. Ignore the piece of junk “device side” board thats under the cable. It is not used. 😁
https://m.imgur.com/9mZIV1z

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:57 am

ZarkonD wrote:

All I can tell you is that for *my* Teac drive, that would be connected backwards at the drive end.

You always have to look at the printed circuit board (or the technical manual for that drive model/revision) to see which way it is supposed to go. Looking at the bottom of my Teac, it has the numbers "34" on one end and "2" on the other (1 would be on the back of the PCB underneath 2) and on mine, "2" is near the power plug, not the stepper motor.

(A good rule of thumb, at least delaing with PC drives, is that the drive select jumpers are usually towards the end where the "twist" is)

Different drives may have the connector turned the other way around. Whenever I hook up my Fujitsu 360k drive, I have to turn the plug around the other way.

Technically, the card edge connectors and plugs are supposed to be polarized. You may notice a small slit cut between several of the pins on the printed circurit board. Floppy cable plugs are supposed to have a little divider that fits in that slit, but most don't and therefore can be connected backwards.

Normally, when you connect a drive backwards on a PC, the floppy drive light will stay on and the motor may run, but nothing else will happen. (The light comes on because drive select is now shorted to ground). But I have noticed that connecting a drive backwards on a Kryoflux can cause the drive to do seemingly random things. At least I haven't damaged anything yet. The manual does warn about mis-connecting things, but the dangers mainly come in if one is powering the drive from an external power supply.

edmaul69

Post by edmaul69 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:21 am

Edited

edmaul69

Post by edmaul69 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:33 am

SomeGuy wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:57 am
ZarkonD wrote:

All I can tell you is that for *my* Teac drive, that would be connected backwards at the drive end.

You always have to look at the printed circuit board (or the technical manual for that drive model/revision) to see which way it is supposed to go. Looking at the bottom of my Teac, it has the numbers "34" on one end and "2" on the other (1 would be on the back of the PCB underneath 2) and on mine, "2" is near the power plug, not the stepper motor.

(A good rule of thumb, at least delaing with PC drives, is that the drive select jumpers are usually towards the end where the "twist" is)

Different drives may have the connector turned the other way around. Whenever I hook up my Fujitsu 360k drive, I have to turn the plug around the other way.

Technically, the card edge connectors and plugs are supposed to be polarized. You may notice a small slit cut between several of the pins on the printed circurit board. Floppy cable plugs are supposed to have a little divider that fits in that slit, but most don't and therefore can be connected backwards.

Normally, when you connect a drive backwards on a PC, the floppy drive light will stay on and the motor may run, but nothing else will happen. (The light comes on because drive select is now shorted to ground). But I have noticed that connecting a drive backwards on a Kryoflux can cause the drive to do seemingly random things. At least I haven't damaged anything yet. The manual does warn about mis-connecting things, but the dangers mainly come in if one is powering the drive from an external power supply.
so you are agreeing with me that his cable is backwards at the floppy drive correct? I assume he was following the kryoflux guide which is wrong for teac drives.

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:21 am

Could it be that you wired the drive as drive 1 but used the commands for drive 0? I can't see the jumpers....

You may connect the drive before the twisted part and try again.

David

ZarkonD

Post by ZarkonD » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:13 am

Thank you, it was the wrong way round on the floppy end. The first drive will now respond to "dtc -c2" with
"CM: maxtrack=83", and will calibrate. Second drive still has the same issue, so I guess that one was busted.

I now having issues dumping an image, though I guess it's probably just a matter of settings now. I am trying to dump Sharp X68000 disks, and was told the following by someone who had dumped them in the past:

I use it in preservation mode, dumping both formats (multiple). The MFM processing is just a visual aid while dumping, my settings are:
Start Track: 0
End Track:76
Side Mode: Both
Sector Size: 1024
Sector count: Any

I have tried two games - First Queen and Emerald Dragon. With both of them if I try preservation mode I get the error: "Sector size can't be changed for image type: -i0"

https://i.imgur.com/frXUD8m.png

With First Queen in MFM mode, on both disks I get "Sector found, but not in image. Try different sector size":

https://i.imgur.com/9X2vF7O.png

With Emerald Dragon, the first disk I tried seemed successful. The second disk said "Error: Extra data was found hidden in unused parts of the block header":

https://i.imgur.com/1Y9qwMe.png

Does that mean it might be a good dump? So far 3/4 disks have had an issue of some kind, and I'm not sure if the disks have decayed or my settings just suck. I suspect the latter!

Thanks for any help.