Replacement discount?

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
Pheonix

Replacement discount?

Post by Pheonix » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:04 am

I've had my Kryoflux for 8 years now and haven't had a problem, until now. I dumped a set of disks I bought 2 days ago, but when I went to write a disk today it no longer recognizes the drive. I've now tried 4 different 3.5" floppy drives, a 5.25" drive, 4 cables, and 2 power supplies (all I have.) I even tried to power the 3.5" drives from the kryoflux board itself. In all cases, I get "Timeout while waiting for device initialization" the first time, then "Device not found" thereafter (until I do a reset of the board.)

An easy, at home, fix would be preferable, but looking at the board, I find this unlikely. I'd rather not buy a whole new board, and was hoping a trade in was possible.

mr.vince

Re: Replacement discount?

Post by mr.vince » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:14 am

Can't do much without any further info. Might be that e.g. a PSU is knackered (e.g. generating overvoltage). You might have fried the board by routing the power through the board or by powering a floppy drive through the board (see manual; red warnings).

Are you sure the drivers are installed correctly?

Pheonix

Post by Pheonix » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:52 am

Reinstalled the drivers just now. That was a bit of a nightmare... Seems a windows update ("Arduino Srl (www.arduino.org) - Other hardware - Bossa Program Port") replaced the "Kryoflux DiskSystem" entry with "Bossa Com Port ?" (? came up as 7 one time, 8 another.) After half an hour of constantly forcing the Bossa ports to become Kryoflux entries repeatedly, it stopped trying to force the change. Now it seems to be working fine.

Sorry about my brief panic :(

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:59 pm

Send your thanks to Microsoft for this stupidity - we've seen this getting worse and worse. Not much we can do from here.

Note: changing USB ports makes Windows re-install (re-enumerate) the device. So always using the very same port is a good start.