Kryoflux stopped working for two sided disks

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
ZrX

Re: Kryoflux stopped working for two sided disks

Post by ZrX » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:40 pm

When doing smd rework on a board the usual method is to shield surrounding parts with aluminum foil.

ivandiaz

Post by ivandiaz » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:52 pm

I put some kapton tape to shield the components (it withstands 400ºC), but the board it is small and doesn't have a big ground plane, so it gets hot very quickly, even if you put foil the temperature from the board if you take more time that needed will melt the headers from below. And the added space it's a very big plus, the chip couldn't be lined up 100% since it touched the header. ;)

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:50 pm

What you can do, next time (although I am confident that isn't a KF repair), is to cut the chip. You can dremel off parts of the package, and cut the chip in half. You can then add desoldering solder (the stuff that stays at the required temperature for longer than regular solder, trying to get around a brand name here) and then lift off pairs of pins. Or you can just add a really large blob of regular solder and heat it with the right tip.

But yeah, SMD is hell and really ugly to service. Was much easier back in the day with THT stuff. ;)

Anyway, well done. I'll take a note - you're keeping your warranty plus we'll put another EUR 20 into our philanthropy account (guess we should post about the philanthropy stuff we do) for avoiding shipping something around the world if it can be done locally. Thanks!

ivandiaz

Post by ivandiaz » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:08 pm

Many thanks, this makes the repair effort doubly satisfying, also sending it back by mail would have stopped a lot of dumps of personal amstrad 3" disks (single face) I was doing.

By the way, I already sent a ticket to SPS with a lot of dumps I have already made and tested. Those include many Amstrad originals, and two Amiga games on your wanted list, Lost Dutchman Mine and Scapeghost. It is ticket #06037