Using Kyroflux to copy old DOS disks to new floppies

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
fjk61011
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:46 pm

Using Kyroflux to copy old DOS disks to new floppies

Post by fjk61011 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:48 pm

Using Kyroflux to copy old DOS disks to new floppies.

Copying to disks in a USB drive usually gives errors.

Could I use Kyroflux to copy to new floppies?

fjk61011
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:46 pm

Re: Using Kyroflux to copy old DOS disks to new floppies

Post by fjk61011 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:05 pm

Sorted. Copied original floppy as a Kyroflux RAW file. Then used WildeWutz to copy to new floppy.

A2Oasis+User
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:43 pm

Re: Using Kyroflux to copy old DOS disks to new floppies

Post by A2Oasis+User » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:33 pm

That worked for you? Really? It only once worked for me and I think that occasion was pure accident. Please elaborate. Please tell me, especially, what method you use for verifying your newly-created disks.

SomeGuy
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:18 pm

Re: Using Kyroflux to copy old DOS disks to new floppies

Post by SomeGuy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:10 pm

Writing a raw steam dump back will work as long as the original disk was in good undamaged condition, and is index aligned.

However, small read errors or noise on the original will be magnified and written back to disk. Copying a "flaky" disk will usually result in an unusable copy. Sort of like taking a photo of a photo.

Ideally a disk should be reduced to it's "lowest common denominator", such as an IMG/IMA, IMD, TD0 or IPF, to remove errors and noise and then converted back to a fresh new steam. Their are a couple of third party tools that can sort of do that, but that functionality is not built in to the Kryoflux software.

A2Oasis+User
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:43 pm

Re: Using Kyroflux to copy old DOS disks to new floppies

Post by A2Oasis+User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:01 pm

I will assume that "flakey" means disks that are not index aligned such as the disks that I created many years ago using an Apple DISKII. I have used the technique of creating a .raw stream dump then using WildeWutz to write onto an empty diskette. But when I read the new diskette using the Kryoflux executable .jar file, I see a rainbow of squares only a few of which are green.

Making an IMG/TMA, IMD, or a TDO file is a new idea for me so I will give that a try. I appreciate having your feedback.

SomeGuy
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:18 pm

Re: Using Kyroflux to copy old DOS disks to new floppies

Post by SomeGuy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:30 pm

A2Oasis+User wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:01 pm
I will assume that "flakey" means disks that are not index aligned such as the disks that I created many years ago using an Apple DISKII.
No, two seperate issues. By "flakey" I mean, for example, a standard IBM PC floppy disk that has some light surface damage. Scratches, dents, dirt, excessive wear, and so on. It might read fine or with a few retries in a real floppy drive, but coping it may result in an unreadable copy because the kryoflux copied the damage that it read.

Index alignment is an entirely different can of worms. As far as I know, the Kroflux still does not support writing non-index aligned images. So any user-formatted disk from an Apple II, C64, Atari 400/800 or some others will not be successfully copied using raw stream files. Attempting this will result in one bad sector on most tracks, as the beginning and end of the track will meet in the middle of a sector and can not be "spliced" in to something readable.

Also, IMG/IMD/TD0 are mainly for "FM/MFM" formatted disks such as IBM PC, TRS-80, and a number of CP/M systems. Apple II disks would require some other format (such as 140k DSK images for non copy protected stuff). Honestly, I have not had much luck at all with writing Apple II disks and the Kryoflux in general.

A2Oasis+User
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:43 pm

Re: Using Kyroflux to copy old DOS disks to new floppies

Post by A2Oasis+User » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:51 pm

Appreciate this information too.

fjk61011
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:46 pm

Re: Using Kyroflux to copy old DOS disks to new floppies

Post by fjk61011 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:23 pm

A2Oasis+User wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:33 pm
That worked for you? Really? It only once worked for me and I think that occasion was pure accident. Please elaborate. Please tell me, especially, what method you use for verifying your newly-created disks.
I have not tested the new disks yet.

fjk61011
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:46 pm

Re: Using Kyroflux to copy old DOS disks to new floppies

Post by fjk61011 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:26 pm

SomeGuy wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:10 pm
Writing a raw steam dump back will work as long as the original disk was in good undamaged condition, and is index aligned.

However, small read errors or noise on the original will be magnified and written back to disk. Copying a "flaky" disk will usually result in an unusable copy. Sort of like taking a photo of a photo.

Ideally a disk should be reduced to it's "lowest common denominator", such as an IMG/IMA, IMD, TD0 or IPF, to remove errors and noise and then converted back to a fresh new steam. Their are a couple of third party tools that can sort of do that, but that functionality is not built in to the Kryoflux software.
"and then converted back to a fresh new steam". How do I go about that?

SomeGuy
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:18 pm

Re: Using Kyroflux to copy old DOS disks to new floppies

Post by SomeGuy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:02 am

Typically the way I do it is to open an IMG/IMA or IMD file with the HxC disk tool software and and then save it as a kryoflux stream.

Post Reply