Complete Newb has questions..

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
Vipersan

Complete Newb has questions..

Post by Vipersan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:05 pm

My Kryoflux board arrived at the weekend and I spent most of sunday trying to get it to work.
I guess it partially functions insofaras I can sort of read data from 5.25 inch floppies ..which was the reason I got it.
I have a large number of floppy disks from when I used to write games for Comodore many years ago.
So most of these disks have old files and code generated by me over a 10 year period both from VIC20 and C64.
I figured it was time to image them before they bit rot.
I also have a few AppleII and PC floppies with who knows what on them ..and a few PET disks made on an old 8050.
So ..where to start ..
I have designated an old Optiplex GX620 running Win7 for this task ..and have installed the Kryo driver ..
at least ..it appears to be correct in that I can calibrate my TEAC FD-55GFR which atm is the only drive I have.
I tested this drive by mounting it as A: in a win98 PC and it does 'see' disks.
I therefore assumed I was good to go.
I installed jre-8u172-windows-i586 on the Optiplex ..and ran up DTC with a 1541 generated known good disk with 2 games in it ..an selected CBM DOS ...
Curiously the D64 image it generated was garbage and looks nothing like the original contents as seen by a 1541.
I assume I am doing something wrong ..
and am using the GUI as I have yet to learn how to use the DOS swiches.
I just wanted to see those lovely green blocks appear ..which they never do ..
I can only read the '0' side of the disk of course ..but appart from a selection of Red Grey and Orange blocks with H or T on them I never see Green ..'good' blocks ...
..and I have yet to see anything at all in the right pane of DTC ..Histogram or Scatter ??
I'm either using Kryoflux wrongly ..or something went wrong with the setup.
As I say ..this is all new hardware and software to me ..so please be patient..
I'm trying to learn ..but my old 61 year old brain is much slower than it was ..and I have MS ..which doesn't help any.
That Aside ..I am pleased to be here ..and once I get it running ..Kryoflux will make a superb addition to my retro toolkit.
rgds
Vipersan
Last edited by Vipersan on Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brightcaster

Re: Complete Newb has questions..

Post by brightcaster » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:42 pm

Yellow boxes marked with H are good tracks as long as its a user written disk! It only shows that single sectors have been modified after the initial format (which is unusual for duplicator written disks).

If you have T marked tracks in a row, you may have set the wrong track distance. Leave it on 80 Tracks in the gui settings as the drive is an 80 track device. (The software does the doublestepping for CBM-DOS itself.)

You may also toggle the density switch for better results. You find it in the drive menu if you use the gui....

David

Vipersan

Post by Vipersan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:19 pm

Cheers David ..
sadly no improvement ..
I'm attaching a screengrab..
I'll try the density next..
rgds
VS
Attachments
Test 6.jpg

Vipersan

Post by Vipersan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:26 pm

Set density to High ..
exactly the same results..
Doh!

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:51 pm

The random T warnings could indicate a misalignment of the drive.

Can you upload the .raw files of one such disk online (using sendspace or such temporary file sharing website) so we could take a closer look of what's going on?

Vipersan

Post by Vipersan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:08 pm

Indeed I probably could ..but ..
just did a raw dump ..and the resulting file is quite small ..
At no point did I get a green block in the drive sector window ..
All grey ...
is this normal ?
Always said Format unknown ..Result Unknown..
resulting Raw image is only 3.952 kb ...
so I guess nothing was dumped ?
..and again ..never saw anything in the Histogram or Scatter windows ?
rgds
VS

https://www.dropbox.com/s/75ogu0wbqrovd ... E.zip?dl=0

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:01 am

The RAW.raw file you uploaded seems to be in a CTRAW-format, which works for Amiga/Atari/PC and such platforms but not for C64 disks.

Try setting the output type to <Multiple> and then select "KryoFlux stream files" and "CBM DOS sector image".

You should then get 168 *xx.x.raw files, which are the actual individual tracks read from the disk, and a *.d64 file. If the blocks still are not green, compress and upload those 168 .raw files for study.

Vipersan

Post by Vipersan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:18 am

So ..did another floppy dump using the settings Multiple /Kyroflux stream files,preservation/CBM DOS sector
It generated a much larger dump this time ..around 30mb.
Still no green blocks etc ..just grey ..like my disappointment atm ..
lol
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sklb58yi0eiwj ... 2.zip?dl=0
but at least with help from you guys ..the grey cloud might be lifted..
;)

In the meantime I have been hacking away at an old Hitachi external scsi CD case to add a 3.5 inch floppy bay ..
Hopefully this will eventually be home to a 2 drive Kryo system.
rgds
VS
Attachments
DSCF0071.JPG
DSCF0070.JPG

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:58 am

Ok, from the second dump I can see that there is data, most of the tracks are ok, but:

1. The drive might have dirty heads because the signal graph of the tracks shows some smearing.

2. The drive that was originally used to write these floppies might have been out of alignment as tracks are offset by one C64 track (2 tracks in case of a 80 track drive).

Somewhere in the GUI settings there's an option to change the track offset, in where you should write +2 for the side A/0. Side B/1 can't be worked out in this case as a modification is required to the floppydrive to read both sides of a C64 floppy in a single reading.

Vipersan

Post by Vipersan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:09 am

Thanks buddy ..
I have cleaned the drives heads with ISO ...so more likely it is an alignment issue ..
I recently bought 2 used 5.25 inch floppy drives on ebay ..
I'm still waiting for these to arrive ..and I can't vouch for their condition ..functionality ...or brand ..
The seller had no idea.
I'll let the forum know what these are when they arrive.
So that is another option I guess.
Obviously I can't undo the way the disks were originally written ..but I'll try and locate this offset function..and try that ..
At least I have some confirmation the Kryo unit isn't faulty.
which is a good thing.
rgds
VS