Selected floppy disk image is damaged or unformatted

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
softwarefailure

Selected floppy disk image is damaged or unformatted

Post by softwarefailure » Thu May 31, 2018 10:35 pm

I'm trying to dump some copy protected Amiga games and this generally works fine when using CT raw images. The games boot just fine in WinUAE. There's one game, however, which doesn't work. WinUAE says "The selected floppy disk image is damaged or unformatted" when trying to boot the CT raw image.

The disk should be ok because all tracks are green when creating the image using the KryoFlux Java UI. Still, the game fails to boot from the CT raw image with the message quoted above. Booting the ADF works fine but of course the copy protection kicks in after the menu screen.

Is there anything else I can try to get a working CT raw image of this game?

I've created the image by using "<multiple>" with AmigaDOS sector image, Kryoflux stream files (preservation) and CT raw image selected.

mr.vince

Re: Selected floppy disk image is damaged or unformatted

Post by mr.vince » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:07 pm

I am glad you did not reveal the name of the game, so nobody knows what it is and hence we don't have to help.

:twisted: :lol:

softwarefailure

Post by softwarefailure » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:15 pm

It's Doofus by Prestige!

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:16 am

There exists an IPF for this title which means the technology has everything to represent the protection. It might be that there's some specialty to the disk that will fool the emulator.

Has the disk been dumped with AmigaDOS as a guide format? Do you see any errors reported?

twilen

Post by twilen » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:13 pm

IPF boots fine, no error message but there are 2 broken (by design surely) sectors in first track. Bootblock sectors are ok.

WinUAE only checks if blocks 0 and 1 (bootblock) decode to AmigaDOS format, if decoding fails: show warning message (Type of disk image is irrelevant). Check the log for details.

softwarefailure

Post by softwarefailure » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:56 pm

mr.vince wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:16 am
Has the disk been dumped with AmigaDOS as a guide format? Do you see any errors reported?
Yes, I selected <Multiple> and the Kryoflux stream files, preservation + CT raw image + AmigaDOS sector image. And all tracks were green. Only track 80 and 81 were grey but that's normal I guess.

The real scary thing was that after a few more attempts the CT raw image suddenly WORKED. This is confusing the heck out of me because there was no visual difference in the KryoFlux Java GUI between the first and the following dumping attempts. All tracks were green in the first attempt, all were green in the second attempt, all were green in the third attempt. Nevertheless, the CT raw image from the first attempt doesn't work and the CT raw image from the third attempt suddenly works! Why is that? That's confusing.

And I've had a similar experience with Lost Patrol. On the first dumping attempt, everything was green and I could boot the CT raw image but the game said "READ ERROR" after the map screen. After a few retries, the "READ ERROR" was gone but there was no visual difference in the KryoFlux GUI! For all dumping attempts all tracks were green, but still, the first dumping attempt apparently had a read error that was NOT indicated by the KryoFlux GUI!

So I'm suspecting that format guiding doesn't really work as it should due to this experience and I've opened a new thread about it here because right now, I'm pretty confused how to explain the behaviour I'm seeing here.