Errors when using CT raw or Kryoflux stream files mode

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
softwarefailure

Errors when using CT raw or Kryoflux stream files mode

Post by softwarefailure » Mon May 28, 2018 2:27 pm

When I use read mode "AmigaDOS sector image" and there are read errors, Kryoflux first shows a red block but then retries reading the track several times and most of the time the red block is then changed into a green one, presumably indicating that the checksum is ok now and the track has been read correctly.

But what about using the modes "CT raw image" or "Kryoflux stream files, preservation" on the very same disk. Would these modes also recognize checksum errors and then do a retry or do they just read what is there, even if the data is corrupt?

brightcaster

Re: Errors when using CT raw or Kryoflux stream files mode

Post by brightcaster » Mon May 28, 2018 3:39 pm

Simply said: You can't do a checksum in raw or stream file mode, because you don't know if checksum errors a caused by read errors or copy protection!

But you can can create format guided raw or stream files, where you select multiple outputs (for example raw and AmigaDOS). In this case the AmigaDOS format decoder would guide the retries included in the raw dump.

By the way, if the red boxes get green after some retries it's usually a matter of cleaning the surface with the heads! You may try the disk once again and will see if the former red boxes will be green at the first try than.

If so, you should clean the floppies before trying to read them...

David

softwarefailure

Post by softwarefailure » Mon May 28, 2018 5:12 pm

brightcaster wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 3:39 pm
But you can can create format guided raw or stream files, where you select multiple outputs (for example raw and AmigaDOS). In this case the AmigaDOS format decoder would guide the retries included in the raw dump.
Thanks, sounds like a good idea. But how do I do that? I've tried selecting "<Multiple>" and then "CT raw image" and "AmigaDOS sector image". Will this do the trick and apply error correction obtained from the AmigaDOS decoder to the raw decoder?

I'm a little confused because there is also a "Kryoflux stream files, format guided" item but when I select this and press "Start" it always complains that I have to select at least one output format but I don't know where to do that!?

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy » Mon May 28, 2018 7:45 pm

It's not very obvious, but you have to select "<multiple>" from the dropdown, then select "Kryoflux stream files, format guided" from the popup window that appears, and then hold down the SHIFT key to select additional formats in that popup window.

softwarefailure

Post by softwarefailure » Mon May 28, 2018 7:54 pm

SomeGuy wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 7:45 pm
It's not very obvious, but you have to select "<multiple>" from the dropdown, then select "Kryoflux stream files, format guided" from the popup window that appears, and then hold down the SHIFT key to select additional formats in that popup window.
Thanks. The correct format for submitting dumps to SPS is "Kryoflux stream files, preservation" then I guess?

softwarefailure

Post by softwarefailure » Mon May 28, 2018 8:12 pm

And another question: What is the difference between selecting all of the following

Code: Select all

Kryoflux stream files (preservation)
Kryoflux stream files (format guided)
CT raw image
AmigaDOS sector image
in the <Multiple> dialog and selecting all of the following

Code: Select all

Kryoflux stream files (format guided)
CT raw image
AmigaDOS sector image
in the <Multiple> dialog? (i.e. same as the first one but without stream files preservation)

Both seem to generate an ADF, a CT raw image and a set of individual imgTT.raw files. Will there be any difference in the imgTT.raw files when adding the "Kryoflux stream files (preservation)" option?

softwarefailure

Post by softwarefailure » Tue May 29, 2018 6:56 pm

Since nobody is replying to me I decided to do some Googling and found this ;-)

But I still don't completely understand. From my understanding of the post above, combining "Kryoflux stream files, format guided" and "Kryoflux stream files, preservation" doesn't make any sense (although the GUI allows to select both and doesn't complain in any way). From my understanding I should use only either "format guided" or "preservation" but not both and then add one additional guiding format like "AmigaDOS sector image" to make sure I get error correction. Is that right?

I think it's a bit misleading because if it's like that then "preservation" implies format guiding as well as soon as another format is combined with "preservation"...

softwarefailure

Post by softwarefailure » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:03 pm

'bump*

Is nobody using the Java GUI here or why is this so difficult to answer? Or are you telling me to RTFM? But I did that already and there's no answer to my question in the doc...

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:35 am

All I can tell you is that from my experience, the Preservation Stream will store 5 complete revolutions while Guided will only store one.

I'm fairly sure you are simply not supposed to select Preservation in conjunction with Guided, or both at the same time. I'd assume Preservation would act as Guided if anything else is selected, but I have not specifically tried that. If that is the case, then it is probably just some minor UI wart. (As if Java itself didn't have enough issues)