Preservation of old original PC disks

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
Restorer

Preservation of old original PC disks

Post by Restorer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:59 am

Hi all, i just got delivery of my KF targeting to preserve a major collection of original 5,25 discs mainly from the 80’s. I got started yesterday hooking it up to my refurbished TEAC FD55GFR that according to the specs should handle both Dd 360kb and HD 1,2Mb discs.

In the GUI the 360 discs runs nice in MFM mode and generates a 360kb image file.
When i try a HD-disc it also runs through the process, however, the file size of the image is 0

Fully aware as newbie that the answers are likely somewhere hidden in a thread already i hope someone could point me in the right direction what command parameters i need to type to make the KF like my 1,2MB hd floppies also. I would also highly appreciate a tip for what tools you use under win10 to access the image contents. With this sorted out my intention is to move on and restore the collection in the preservation modes.

Cheers and many thankś in advance.

SomeGuy

Re: Preservation of old original PC disks

Post by SomeGuy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:11 pm

First, when reading a 1.2mb disk, make sure the density line is set appropriately for a high density disk. On an IBM PC compatible 1.2mb drive, the density line should be set "low" for high density disks and "high" for low density disks. (Some non-IBM PC drives have this reversed, hence the reference to the logic line signal rather than actual density)

Second, when decoding, make sure the RPM value is set appropriately, in this case to 360RPM. The default is 300, and will ocasionally work reading low-density disks but is incorrect and should always be 360RPM when using a normal IBM PC style 1.2mb floppy drive.

mr.vince

Re: Preservation of old original PC disks

Post by mr.vince » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:40 pm

-v360 should do the trick. Needs to be set before the image type, e.g. -i4.