Apple II nibble image

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
obaltus

Apple II nibble image

Post by obaltus » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:53 pm

Hello,

I have two questions regarding the KryoFux and Apple II nibble disk images:
  • Is it possible to make a nibble disk image file out of an Apple II floppy disk?
  • Is it possible to write back a nibble disk image file to an Apple II floppy disk?
Thank you,
Last edited by obaltus on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr.vince

Re: Apple II nibble file

Post by mr.vince » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:30 am

Can you give a file description of these nibble files? (Links? )

KryoFlux Stream is what's on the disk so yes you can derive whatever you need from it.

If nib is less which I assume you need to start guessing to write back.

obaltus

Re: Apple II nibble file

Post by obaltus » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:44 pm

Hello,

Nibble image holds nibbles as if they were read by the Logic State Sequencer, therefore some protections may be lost (and I assure you they are). Each phase contains $1A00 (6656) bytes. A standard $22 diskette (step 1 track) is 232,960 bytes long.

Here you can find some nibble image files : http://www.brutaldeluxe.fr/products/app ... p/samples/
For example here is one: http://www.brutaldeluxe.fr/products/app ... e/GATO.NIB

mr.vince

Re: Apple II nibble image

Post by mr.vince » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:09 pm

OK, so this is data seen not as it's on the disk, but how the computer sees it. You see the stew but not the recipe.

As stated above you lose some data (=toss anything non-standard).

It can likely be converted to flux like MP3 can be converted to lossless WAV again - but you lose the data in the first place.

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:57 am

At one time nibble files were popular on Apple II emulators, as it enabled them to run many copy protected titles that used less complicated protections (such as alternate sector header bytes). It may have also simplified the program code, but most emulators eventually supported 140K disk sector images.

It looks like the HxC disk utility can read in Apple II nibble files as long as they have the .nib extension, and seems to save them as a KF stream file OK.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:40 am

Yes, like D64 with error map. But just a huge hack. Not blaming anyone, just saying we know better today. You just need to be aware that you can never reconstruct the original floppy data 100% based on this. But it's OK to try.

Pheonix

Post by Pheonix » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:46 am

SomeGuy wrote:At one time nibble files were popular on Apple II emulators, as it enabled them to run many copy protected titles that used less complicated protections (such as alternate sector header bytes). It may have also simplified the program code, but most emulators eventually supported 140K disk sector images.

It looks like the HxC disk utility can read in Apple II nibble files as long as they have the .nib extension, and seems to save them as a KF stream file OK.
I'm having trouble finding the HxC disk utility. I tried the downloadable software from the HxC main site, but it doesn't support Apple II that I can find anywhere. I'm mainly looking to do things the other way around, though. That is, try and convert my KF stream files to one of the Apple II formats that supports copy protection. I know the .NIB format doesn't support them all, but maybe it supports the few that I have, enough to work in emulation. There may be a couple of others (look HERE for what I discovered previously,) but that one seems to be the main one.