Amstrad CPC .dsk files

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
JMD

Amstrad CPC .dsk files

Post by JMD » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:51 pm

Hello,

I just bought a Kryoflux and I would like to dump Amstrad CPC disk to run on CPCE emulator.
I made the right cable and plug the drive. All seems ok (I can dump in console mode a MFM file with this) but how can I create .dsk files ?

Thanks.

Specfreak

Re: Amstrad CPC .dsk files

Post by Specfreak » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:04 pm

At the moment I don't think you can. Until/unless the SPS guys add outputting to EDSK, which I believe has been mentioned before on here.
Alternatively, when the DRAFT format is out, Simon Owen may add conversion support into SamDisk so that
you can convert to EDSK. Which ever comes first really. Obviously that's if they have the time and want to do it.

If you have the connectors already, you can hook it up to your PC's FDC and use SamDisk to dump them. I've got an FD-1 which makes it
easier to dump disks.

It would make things easier to use the DTC tool to make a RAW and EDSK on the fly, but I don't think it's high on the priority list
right at the present time.

JMD

Re: Amstrad CPC .dsk files

Post by JMD » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:25 pm

Thanks for your answer.

Caprice32 seems to be IPF compatible but I don't know how to build a valid ipf file for cpc. (I tried many format and options combinations on dtc )
What's the DTC command line to build a ipf file for cpc ?

mr.vince

Amstrad CPC .dsk files

Post by mr.vince » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:30 am

This is a common misinterpretation. You don't convert something to IPF. IPF stores original and genuine mastering data. Such data can be processed using the Softpres Analyser. This program is a tool for preservation and at the moment available for institutions (libraries, archives, museums) only. I also guess that its high four digit price tag is prohibitive for the average user.

However, you can also contact Softpres via the contact form and submit your data to have it preserved as an IPF.

And: of course DTC can only deliver a fraction of all formats available. That's why we also export raw data (stream, draft) so others can pick up. Maybe you/we should ask Simon if he's interested.