5.25 floppies image profile

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
beppe

Re: 5.25 floppies image profile

Post by beppe »

Thanks a lot to both David and Someguy! The floppies are related to university studies, and from the labels I can imagine these contain written documents, so they could maybe be made with a digital typewriter?
In the next days I'll try to dump some other floppies from the same origin, to see if this is the same problem. So I try to do both "preservation stream" and "standard mfm"?
Thank you very much again.
GF
brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

A preservation stream is always preferred, as there are some information in it which are not stored in the standard mfm image.

Just for example: The order of the sectors on side 2 in your stream is very unique! It doesn't start with sector 0 (next to the index signal) but with sector 4 instead, having a strange interleave of 4 9 0 5 1 6 2 7 3 8! I have to admit that I never have seen that before...

David
beppe

Post by beppe »

Thank you very much David.
here you can see another floppy from the same origin: https://wetransfer.com/downloads/a58d37 ... 255/466d2d
I also attach a photo of the support: this is an Olivetti floppy. Olivetti storically built typewriters, but there were also Olivetti computers, so I don't know if this information is helpful....
Thanks again for your help, very appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_20210125_134408_risultato.jpg
brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

Well, this floppy sheds some more light on the mystery, as there is some text data written on it. It looks as serial letters (and the associated adress database) from Prof. Toni Toniato Venezia, all dated 11th august 1988. But it still is an unknown file system to me.

You may import the mfm sectore image file directly into LibreOffice or another Text editor to get an overview of the letters on this floppy...

I would google for pictures of that professor now, maybe the typewriter or personal computer is shown on one of them in the background ;-)

David
beppe

Post by beppe »

Thank you David! Tomorrow will try to import on a text editor.. Meanwhile.. could you tell me how and where you can find that info about the prof. toniato? So maybe I could do the same with others and at least have an idea of the contents...
Best regards
Giuseppe
Jeff_HxC2001

Post by Jeff_HxC2001 »

Hello,
Which HxC Floppy Emulator software version are you using ?
Where i can found this stream dump ? (The wetransfer has expired)
brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

Hi Jeff,

I used v2.5.5.1, but it also happens with v2.5.6.7! It looks good in the stream view but very weird in the dummy disk view (at the last tracks on the second side after removing the odd tracks).

I placed the stream at https://davidkrause.de/conferenzepalazzocarminati.zip but please tell me after you downloaded it (so that I can remove it again).

David
Jeff_HxC2001

Post by Jeff_HxC2001 »

Thanks for the stream !

In fact you have dumped a 300 RPM disk with a 360 RPM drive. The bitrate in this dump is not very standard.
In such situation set the "FLUXSTREAM_RPMFIX" variable/parameter to "360TO300RPM" :

Code: Select all

#
# FLUXSTREAM_RPMFIX - Change the stream replay speed.
#
# NONE :
# No stream speed change.
#
# 360TO300RPM :
# 300 RPM disk dumped on a 360 RPM drive : Slow down the stream.
#
# 300TO360RPM :
# 360 RPM disk dumped on a 300 RPM drive : Speed up the stream.
#
EDIT : You can set a specific configuration for each dump : put a config.script file in the raw streams folder with this line:

Code: Select all

set FLUXSTREAM_RPMFIX "360TO300RPM"
You can find more informations about these configurations files at this url :
https://sourceforge.net/p/hxcfloppyemu/ ... nit.script
brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

I've thought about it and tried to change the FLUXSTREAM_RPMFIX parameter in the GUI menu at "Settings / Internal Parameters" but I used the wrong syntax. So thanks for the link to the variables description!

David
beppe

Post by beppe »

Hi Jeff and David, thank you both very much. I read just now what you wrote some days ago.
Are you saying I dumped the floppy with a wrong rpm speed? And if so, there is a way on the Kyroflux Mac user interface to set it right? And by doing that I should mount correctly the mfm images of these disks?
Sorry, as you know I am not an expert with this and every single passage takes a lot of effort.
Best regards
Giuseppe