Intellec MDS-80

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
pieroandreini

Intellec MDS-80

Post by pieroandreini » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:24 pm

I recently purchased a kryoflux interface with the specific purpose of being able to read 8 "floppy disks from an Intellec MDS-80 computer. Of course I also have an adapter to connect the 8" drives on the 34-pin cable.
The 8 "drive I own and I normally use to read and write 8" floppies (with imagedisk and teledisk) is a NEC FD-1165 FQ. Due to my ignorance about magnetic recording techniques I have enormous difficulty understanding how to use kryoflux. Somebody can let me know the correct parameters to use in order to read the floppy disks of the Intellec MDS-80 computer and save the data in binary format? The aim is not to preserve floppy images but to extract the data they contain.
Thanks,
Piero

brightcaster

Re: Intellec MDS-80

Post by brightcaster » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:28 pm

It could be M2FM encoded, with 77 tracks, 26 sectors/track and 128 bytes/sector! It was discussed in this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1438&p

Is it possible to do a Kryoflux raw copy with the GUI, upload that to a webspace and send the link, so that the "experts" may have a look on it?

David

pieroandreini

Post by pieroandreini » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:38 pm

sorry for the late reply, something didn't work in the notification of replies to the post via email.

Here what I tried to read hoping to had used the correct settings: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nfp95zsroc7gc ... d.rar?dl=0

I used the GUI with these parameters:
Kryoflux stream files, format guided
Start Track: 0
End Track: 76
Side Mode: Both
Sector Size: 128
Sector Count: Exactly 26
Track Distance 80 traks
Target RPM: 300

Info after reading:

Format Unknown
Result Unknown
Sectors
RPM 354.203
Transfer (Bytes / s) 310115

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:14 pm

The data of the raw files does not look too bad, but it's actually m2fm with 52 sectors on one side. The python tool from the link of my first respond should be able to decode that to a sector image (IMD-Format)!

I'm off for holliday (with restricted internet access) now and can't help much during the next days. Maybe others jump in...

David

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:29 pm

The data actually does look bad. There's lots of bleeding between the scatter plot bands on tracks containing data. Tho the bands of unused sectors look fairly cleanly separated.

I'd expect errors atleast on tracks 0, 1 and 5.

Not sure if it's the age or could cleaning of the disk and/or drive heads help.

Edit: This is as much as I could decode from the dump:
tennis.zip
(123.9 KiB) Downloaded 15 times

pieroandreini

Post by pieroandreini » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:53 pm

Great job! thanks a lot !! We have some floppies (including this one) that contain data that would be great to be able to recover, as they are the sources of some arcade video games, one of which is unpublished, donated directly by the engineer who designed them. Since it is a critical operation and requires someone really expert like you, would it be possible to send floppies to attempt recovery?

pieroandreini

Post by pieroandreini » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:35 pm

I desperately try to use the python tool flux2imd with no success. May somebody explain me how to use it? I tried to read the second floppy but I can't decode it. Here is the raw flux image readed as the other one https://www.dropbox.com/s/3b5cvikprzibe ... a.rar?dl=0

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:58 pm

This one is in better condition than the other one. The converted image is probably fully salvaged.
grammi.zip
(91.05 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
For processing the other disks, not sure how far from Finland you reside, and how many floppies there are. Sure it's doable if you want to avoid processing the disks yourself.

I found the flux2imd tools aswell, but haven't looked yet how they work. Currently using my own highly experimental tool for the more exotic disk formats.

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:41 pm

Great to see this progress! I gues the next step ist to get the files off the images now. There is a DOS-program existing which can extract and even add files to the image:

http://www.nj7p.info/Computers/Software ... -i_6_0d.7z

There is a manual.txt in the archiv which shows all the commands. The second image works fine with this tool but the first has some problems as expected...

This is an example processing the second disk:

Code: Select all

G:\isis-files>makimg-i grammi
makimg-i Version 6.0D starting...
For ISIS-II floppy images
Disk geometry is SSDD 512KB
Sector size = 128, Disk size 512512
  A-Add ISIS File to image from PC
  D-Show ISIS Directory from image
  DA-Show all ISIS Directory from image
  DW-Show wide ISIS Directory from image
  E-Erase ISIS File from image
  L-Type label from ISIS image.
  Q-Quit MAKIMG-I
  S-Save ISIS file from image to PC
  T-Type ISIS file from image to screen
  Z-Show status of ISIS image
Debug:
  1-Dump Allocation Vector
  2-Dump Sector
Select action (<cr> to exit): d
Directory Listing:
ISIS   DIR      ISIS   MAP      ISIS   T0       ISIS   LAB      2
4               2A              ADOLFO LIB      MR     LIB      1
ORBIT2 ED       3               COIN   ED       MACRO  LIB      ORBITE CSD
ORBITE ED       ORBIT3 ED
Select action (<cr> to exit):

David

pieroandreini

Post by pieroandreini » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:31 am

Awesome! I will try to read again the firs one.
This is the third Floppy readed. It where dirty, so I tried to clean at better of my possibilities, I hope it worked.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rezgj1dc87am5 ... b.rar?dl=0
I'll try even to decode myself with the DOS tool