5.25inch floppy connector question

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
Sentinel

5.25inch floppy connector question

Post by Sentinel » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:32 pm

Hi all
This probably has been asked before so sorry about that.
Is it possible to connect a 5.25 floppy drive with this connector to the kryoflux? See attached file.

If not, can someone please guide me to a decent priced 5.25 drive that works with the kryoflux.

Thanks a million in advance!
Attachments
floppyconnector.JPG
floppyconnector.JPG (8.19 KiB) Viewed 227 times

SomeGuy

Re: 5.25inch floppy connector question

Post by SomeGuy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:53 pm

As you noticed, most 5.25" floppy drives use a card edge connector while 3.5" drives use a pin header connector. Electrically, these are both the same "Shugart-style" floppy interface.

To connect a 5.25" floppy drive to a Kryoflux, you need a floppy cable that has both kinds of plugs instead of just the pin header plug. The kryoflux store sells such a cable here: https://webstore.kryoflux.com/catalog/p ... ucts_id=34

Similar floppy cables can also commonly be found on ebay. Just make sure to inspect the picture to make sure it has a pin-header motherboard plug, a plug of each type for drive "A", a plug of each type for drive "B", and a cable twist between the "A" and "B" connectors.

This page describes the cables in more detail: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/fdd/confCable-c.html

(BTW, your photo actually shows some home made adapter meant for going the other direction - interfacing a 3.5" drive pin-header connector with an IBM PC/XT or similar that only has card-edge connectors available)

Any floppy drive designed for use with an IBM PC/XT or AT will work with a kryoflux. As always, look up the manual for the floppy drive's model.

There are some preferred brands and models. Teac 5.25" drives are generally higher quality, and Panasonic 5.25" drives seem to be preferred for "flippy modding". Depending on how you want to use your kryoflux, you will need to decide if you want a 360k or 1.2mb drive (or better yet, get a dozen of both! One can never have too many floppy drives :) )

Sentinel

Re: 5.25inch floppy connector question

Post by Sentinel » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:13 pm

Thank you for your reply.
Yes I took that picture from the net, it is not from the drive that I have lying around (same type of connector though).
Okay I 'll look out for a Teac drive.