Kryoflux Floppy Drive + dumping Amiga floppies

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
Karsa

Kryoflux Floppy Drive + dumping Amiga floppies

Post by Karsa » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:22 pm

Hi there. I know there was a Kryoflux floppy drive for sale, but it's not available anymore. Is this pernament or just termporary?
If there will be no Kryoflux floppy drives, what is the most reliable floppy drive for dumping 3.5 DOS games from 90's?
Can I dump Amiga games using PC floppy drive?

Modeler

Re: Kryoflux Floppy Drive + dumping Amiga floppies

Post by Modeler » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:54 pm

I'm a total noob but as far as I know, any compatible 3.5" drive should do (see https://forum.kryoflux.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4) for a list.

Rakki

Post by Rakki » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:18 pm

Exactly. I do recommend to choose 84 tracks drive as it fits for all 3.5" disks. Often its also good to have 2 - 3 separate drives (different brands) as some drives do read better than others.

Karsa

Post by Karsa » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:55 pm

Thanks. That was the issue. One drive read only PC floppies, the other Amiga nad PC.

ATLAN

Post by ATLAN » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Hello, i understand, that you can use a normal PC 3,5" Floppy Drive with Kryoflux to reading
the Amiga 500 HD and DD Floppy discs. One Floppy Drive could be better than other.
I can see this in the 3,5" compatible Thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4

I read ever only by normal PC Floppy Disc Drives but what happens, if i use a Amiga Floppy Drive?
I own a Amiga 500 and can take out the Drive from it and put it on the Kryoflux Board? Yes or no?
Will the original Amiga Floppy Drive work with Kryoflux Board? I think, it should be better solution,
if i use the original Amiga floppy Drive for saving Amiga Floppy Discs, because this drive is used
for reading and writing Amiga Discs. I am right or not? Can i do so or is there some compatible Problem?
The Floppy Drives aren't so different between PC or Amiga.
The Controller only said, which Floppies they can read or not. I found no answer for this question.

I read ever only to use a PC Floppy Drive.
But why not use the original Amiga 500 Floppy Drive with the Kryoflux Board?

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:57 pm

There are differences between PC floppy drives and Amiga floppy drives:

PC floppy drives answer to drive select 1 (DS1), internal Amiga drives answer to DS0
pin 34 on the connector is used for disk change on the PC, disk ready on the Amiga
pin 2 on the connector is used for high-density detection on the PC, disk change on the Amiga
amiga HD drives run on half speed whenever you insert a HD floppy to keep the bus timing for DD

I guess you have a Chinon FZ-357A which is different to the usual FZ-357! The "A" indicates it is a dual speed drive which was a especially built for the amiga!

So it will be much easier to get your hands on a used normal PC drive (HD of course) than doing all the modification...

David

ATLAN

Post by ATLAN » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:56 am

Sad, it isn't so simple. But thanks for the explanation, David.
Ok, i must take out of the box my old PC Floppy Drives.
I am really lucky, that i never drop my old good working PC Harware in the garbage.
So i must check out, which PC Floppy Drive Models i own and how they are working
with the Kryoflux Board. So i don't open my Amiga 500. I will not destroy or break
my Amiga 500 Hardware.

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:50 am

Connect the drive, run DTC -c2 or the Calibration from the UI menu. If it says MAXTRACK=83 you're usually good to go.