Casio FZ-10M Disks

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
Kubi

Casio FZ-10M Disks

Post by Kubi »

Hi Community!

I use Kroyflux to save all my disks from my Casio sampler.
The disks have the design like 1,2 MB: 80 tracks with 8 sectors at 1024 Bytes. The drive is running at 360rpm.
I use the following settings to make an image of such disks: dtc -ffilename.img -v360 -z3 -i4 and that works pretty well.

But I have made a sin which was very popular that time: I have cut the HD-Pin of the drive to use cheaper DD-Disks.
Does someone know the correct settings to read those disks without drilling a hole?

Best Regards,
Kubi
mr.vince

Re: Casio FZ-10M Disks

Post by mr.vince »

Bypass the switch in the drive with a manual switch...
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Hi Mr. Vince,

I had done this but it was difficult. Now it works fine.
Thank you.
IFW

Post by IFW »

You've been lucky then... the main reason you shouldn't mix up DD with HD is different domains and coercivity.
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

What I remember is that DD disks are failed HD disks...

Whatever...I would had saved time to backup all my disks.
But I was weaponed with several disk drives and different mods, patience and Kryoflux.
I am sure that I only scratched the surface of this powerful tool but it works for me.
I have saved all my disks without any loss...now turning over to my Atari disks.

Best Regards,
Kubi
mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

Really... DD disks are not failed HD disks. It's like different types of media with different recording parameters. Think of ovens operated at different temperatures. Both might prep food but it may end up burned or only partially cooked.
Jonwrennall

Post by Jonwrennall »

I've just set up KrytoFlux with 300rpm disk drive and used "dtc -ffilename.img -v360 -z3 -i4 " to create images of my disks. most of them come up with a 4 or so bad sectors :(. I have then tried to use IMG2FZF (from zine.r-massive.com/casio-fz-sampler-archive ) but it comes up that the image may be corrupt and it cannot continue... (it works on the 2 sample IMG files). Has anyone managed to extract data from the IMG images Kryoflux creates (sorry for the newbie question) if so how and is there any way to recover (or ignore') bad sectors - many thanks!
brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

AFAIK there is no tool which allows to extract the samples from the floppy or image. But you may use the HxCTool to convert the kryoflux img files to Casio fzf files and back...

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... r_soft.zip

David
Jonwrennall

Post by Jonwrennall »

thanks - seems to have exported OK - looks like https://www.fmjsoft.com/awavestudio.html should be able to convert the samples into something more usable than an finding another usable FZ1/10/20 - anyone tried it ?
brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

Nice find! The FMJ-Software opens the fzf images and shows the samples so far!

If you are still having problems with some bad sectors, maybe another drive helps. Many drives that have been produced in the last 15 years have problems with everything that is not msdos 1.44 Mbyte standard. So they may get confused by the originally 360rpm also...

David