Apple II & Atari 8-Bit image files.

3rd Party Software, Tools & Add-ons for KryoFlux
Pheonix

Re: Apple II & Atari 8-Bit image files.

Post by Pheonix » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:55 am

So nobody has done any converters for Apple II copy protected disks? I know the current image formats are rather limited, and aren't good for archival purposes, but I thought someone would have had a temporary solution available by now :( I'm not a good enough programmer to do it myself, though I have tried. I'm still struggling to figure out how to read RAW stream files, and haven't even looked at the image format specifications available yet. I think I would really need a dumbed down "Kryoflux stream files for idiots" guide :(

anormal

Post by anormal » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:50 pm

you could try ipf documentation by drCoolZic,

his web is great, i am still to find any site with more information about disk protections (in general, and atari st specifically)

About loading Apple II. I also have a dream, full RAW/IPF/SCP support in Mess :D

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:57 pm

Since the source for the SPS decoder library plus a vast variety of binaries is out there... might as well ask the emulator authors to take a peek at using the data from there. For emulation or conversion... whatever comes more handy.

IFW

Post by IFW » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:06 pm

Are there any really advanced emulators for these systems that could in theory deal with copy-protection, cycle-exact timings, self-modifying code etc. that are usually employed on original disks? Running a simple sector image or a simulated disk read-out from a controller is much simpler.

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:05 am

Emulators that run .woz files already:

-Virtual II (OSX)
-Open Emulator (OSX)
-MicroM8 (OSX,Win,Linux)
-MAME
-AppleWin (coming?)
Last edited by Cosmo on Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pheonix

Post by Pheonix » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:04 am

There are quite a few emulators capable of running copy protections. Many copy protected games for the Atari 8-bit systems required fairly precise timing to pass (why some of the mods of the day killed them.) Those same copy protected games load fine in Altirra (for example,) from ATX images. I'm not sure about Apple II emulation. I've only ever worked with AppleWin. It works with most .NIB files, which is the only format (so far,) that supports copy protection. Don't know the details with those :(

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:10 am

Pheonix wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:04 am
There are quite a few emulators capable of running copy protections. Many copy protected games for the Atari 8-bit systems required fairly precise timing to pass (why some of the mods of the day killed them.) Those same copy protected games load fine in Altirra (for example,) from ATX images. I'm not sure about Apple II emulation. I've only ever worked with AppleWin. It works with most .NIB files, which is the only format (so far,) that supports copy protection. Don't know the details with those :(
For Apple II, the .nib format is not really good for various reasons, but it worked on some not-so-heavily protected disks.

Thesedays, there is the new .woz format that can hold the protection (flux image) and can be booted with emulators (see post before). Only way currently to produce .woz files is using Applesauce. From the project page you can also read about the .woz and the .a2r specifications. .woz is clearly the future of the Apple II imaging. The project, people around it, have imaged somewhere around 3000+ disks already and active "dumping" is under way.

So, .woz support for Kryoflux would be essential and would be needed soon, if possible.

Hope this wasn't too much or against the rules. Just giving information about options.

Pheonix

Post by Pheonix » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:58 am

Sounds like there's finally a better CP disk format :) Will have to try out some of (OK, the 1 or 2,) emulators that support it. Will have to get some images as well, though. I really only have 2 disks, but neither has an uncracked image available, and won't convert to anything usable with the Kryoflux dumps I have :(

So, really need a converter :(

Vipersan

Post by Vipersan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:02 pm

I am hoping both AppleII and PET will eventually be added to the gui dump process.
I dont have many of either but what I do have I'd like to preserve.
At least with PET disks I can buy some time with my 8050 ...by coning the floppies..
Sadly not so easy with Apple as I only have one drive to use.
and then copy protection could well be an issue.
I'm hoping someone smarter than me will eventually find solutions.

...then there is my clutch of BBC floppies...
another issue altogether...
rgds
VS