IPF creation and disk writing via Kryoflux

3rd Party Software, Tools & Add-ons for KryoFlux
IFW

Re: IPF creation and disk writing via Kryoflux

Post by IFW » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:08 am

Zero chance - the bitcell widh periodically changes within the data window size to create deterministic weak bits rather than the usual random garbage associated with weak bit areas.

Rixa

Post by Rixa » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:55 pm

Yes, it was a fluke. I played for some time without running into any issues, but I suppose they were just slow coming. Today the disk didn't even boot on the first attempt, and prompted for the real game disk fairly soon afterwards after second boot. Perhaps a real ipf will eventually see the light of day :)

coolhaken

Post by coolhaken » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:51 pm

Hi,

I have some copy protected games for APPLE2 and IBM PC XT .
Don't know if the KF-Analyse tool supports the above platforms ?
Can anyone teach me how to convert the Kryoflux stream files of them to .IPF files step by step ?
Thanks very much . :)

ozymandias

Post by ozymandias » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:37 am

Hi,

I have an exended adf which DIsk-Analyse does not recognize. It says "Bad Track type 0 in Ext-ADF". I'm trying to convert it to IPF to write it to disk. I haven't original disks any more and I can't find true IPF.
Can anyone help me?

IFW

Post by IFW » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:08 am

I guess if you said what program you wanted to archive, it would be easier for people to help ;)

ozymandias

Post by ozymandias » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:28 am

Hi,

sorry. The program is "Beyond Dark Castle".

IFW

Post by IFW » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:41 am

Since there is an official IPF of that, I'd recommend going to http://eab.abime.net/ and ask there.

jjsimpso

Post by jjsimpso » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:40 pm

I recently dumped a stream file and adf of the Amiga release of Rogue from an original copy. Now I'd like to create an ipf file to bypass the copy protection and play the game in UAE. I'm not aware of an already existing ipf or stream file, so I'd also like to do what I can to preserve the amiga version of this historic game.

I grabbed disk-analyse from git -- neat little program by the way! -- and here's what I get when I run it on the stream data:

Code: Select all

$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib disk-analyse --format=amigados rogue/track rogue.ipf
*** T0.1: Unexpected track length (seen 111788, expected 100150)
T0.0-79.1: AmigaDOS
T80.0-83.1: Unformatted
I've experimented with various custom configs like this:

"Rogue"
    0 amigados gremlin_longtrack
    * amigados
but I haven't had any luck so far. What is the next step to figuring out how to convert this to a working ipf? I'm a C programmer, so I'm willing to dig into the code if I need to.

Thanks for any help or information that anyone can provide. I'm excited to dig deeper into this stuff.

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:13 pm

If you view the 'formats' file in Disk-Utilities/disk-analyse/formats you can see longtracks are supported, try using:

"Rogue"
    1 amigados_long_111000
    * amigados
That has a good chance of working!!

Also, your parameter is working on track 0.0, it should be on track 0.1 as that's where the copy protection is, hence using '1' in the above example to mean Track 0.1! And, IPFs don't 'bypass' the copy protection, they describe the disk layout so emulation or writing back to a real disk will produce an identical copy of the original data :)

jjsimpso

Post by jjsimpso » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:14 am

Thanks for the help BarryB! I think it worked!

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib disk-analyse --format="Rogue" --config=config rogue/track rogue.ipf
T0.0: AmigaDOS
T0.1: AmigaDOS Long Track (111000 Bits)
T1.0-79.1: AmigaDOS
T80.0-83.1: Unformatted
I will test it in UAE later and report back.

And yes, I worded that clumsily when I said "bypass" the copy protection. I am attracted to this method precisely because it doesn't rely on any cracks or code modification.

Thank you very much for your help. I still have a lot to learn about this stuff, so it is great to know there is such a helpful and knowledgeable community.