dos5_extract.py: recover DOS BACKUP archives

3rd Party Software, Tools & Add-ons for KryoFlux
Jim Battle

dos5_extract.py: recover DOS BACKUP archives

Post by Jim Battle »

Recently I extracted the fifteen 5.25" floppy disks which constituted a source code archive for a 30 year old program. I was able to mount the disk images via DOSBOX, but then I hit a problem. When I ran RECOVER.EXE to unarchive the files, after the first disk I was prompted to swap out the first disk and swap in the second disk of the archive.

Swapping the mounted floppy disk image requires running commands from the DOSBOX command line, which I can't do while RECOVER is running.

So I wrote a python script to do it instead. I used WinImage to extract the CONTROL.### and BACKUP.### files into one directory, then my script reads all those files and recovers the archive.

I've used it on only two backup archives, so there may be latent bugs. Still, it worked well enough for my purposes, and put it up on github in case anyone else finds it useful. And at this point I fully expect someone to tell me I'm an idiot and there is a simple way to do what I want and there was no need to spend a couple evenings writing my own program. :D

Here it is: https://github.com/jtbattle/dos5_restore
IFW

Re: dos5_extract.py: recover DOS BACKUP archives

Post by IFW »

Thanks for sharing 8-)