My ex-SCSI box

Show us your setup and show us where the units are being used.
peter_j

My ex-SCSI box

Post by peter_j » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:37 am

An old Compaq SCSI case. The Kryoflux is scewed onto a Nintendo cartridge taped to the PSU - that places the USB perfectly over the hole left by the SCSI ID connector. Excuse the yellowy photos.
kryocase1.jpg
kryocase1.jpg (82.83 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
kryocase2.jpg
kryocase2.jpg (100.48 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
kryocase3.jpg
kryocase3.jpg (135.58 KiB) Viewed 1736 times

peter_j

Re: My ex-SCSI box

Post by peter_j » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:39 am

Spares: ;)

kryocase4.jpg
kryocase4.jpg (139.56 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
I'll soon have to buy a second Kryoflux.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:25 pm

o_O

Wow!

peter_j

Post by peter_j » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:49 am

I was in a bit of a rush posting those pictures. At the risk of being boring...

I work in a little computer shop that is also somewhat known locally as the place you can dump your old computer junk. Most of that goes to a local electronic waste firm we call when the junk pile gets too big. But we always go through the stuff first, and I normally pull any drives, clean the front plates a bit, then run them through a quick head clean, and see if they will read a disk. The cases in the pic above held SCSI DLT tape drives. The black one was difficult, as Compaq had worked out they needed only the bottom rail to hold the large DLT drive, so I had to bodge some metal brackets to hold the top drive in place.

My main hobby is making images of Japanese disks that I get via auction, but I have collected and imaged software for many non-Japanese systems over the years using tools more conventional than the amazing Kryoflux. I am always on the lookout for 3.5in drives ( and old motherboards ) that are 3-mode capable in the junk, and have found a few, though, prior to the Kryoflux, external USB floppy drives were the most successful at reading 3-mode disks.

Most people who see me with a pile of old floppy drives think I am a bit crazy, that my clutch is slipping as it were, and maybe they are right. I also collect old computers, but I don't know what to do with them really, as I am getting on a bit, and seem to be the only person in the country with such interests. Anyway. ;)

If I may be permitted to put links in, and anyone is interested, I put stuff up on my 2 sites:

http://www.retroprograms.com/
and
http://slt.retroprograms.com/

:)

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:15 am

Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

It's lovely to see where KF has travelled and that others share the passion we started with in 2001 (which lead to making the board).

It's always awesome to see we are not alone. And mad. :D

hello_kitty

Post by hello_kitty » Wed May 07, 2014 12:00 pm

Nice hobby :)