My Kryoflux Two!!

Show us your setup and show us where the units are being used.
garyw536

My Kryoflux Two!!

Post by garyw536 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:22 am

Hi All,
Being the greedy sort I bought 2 of these little fabulous Kryoflux units.
The first one I have mounted in a small plastic box to protect it and have made it into a little portable Kryoflux kit which I take to and from my place of work. For total flexibility I have added a toggle switch to select between the single drive or dual drive modes. I use it on my Windows laptop at work and on my Ubuntu Linux desktop at home and therefore run the dtc/.jar GUI programs off a USB memory stick. At work I use it for backing up 5.25" floppy disks used by the production equipment in the factory. At home I am an avid collector of retro technology and have a large assortment of old computers, games consoles, word processors and electronic typewriters. The Kryoflux is excellent for backing up my retro software, saving it from the ravages of time.

The second unit I have mounted inside an enclosure with a 5.25", 3.5" floppy drive and 12v/5v switch mode PSU. The 5.25" floppy is drive 0 and the 3.5" floppy is drive 1. This is a more robust and tidier solution than unit 1 and I use it with my Ubuntu Linux powered Asus netbook in my garage where I keep my collection. As most of the floppy disk software I have in my retro collection is on 5.25" and 3.5" disk this 2nd unit is used the most for backing up my software. However, for my 3" floppy software I still have the first unit I can attach an old drive too when I get round to it.

TTFN

mr.vince

My Kryoflux Two!!

Post by mr.vince » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:11 am

VERY impressive. The enclosure is a bit bigger that the one we are intending to build but... Really... Very well done!

cdawe

Re: My Kryoflux Two!!

Post by cdawe » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:43 am

Gary, did you have to modify your 3.5 inch drive in any way to get it to work cooperatively with the 5.25 inch drive? Using mine for Commodore disks, and I have a flippy modded drive, but I don't know whether I need to make a modification to the 3.5 incher when it's hooked into the same cable as the 5.25 inch drive...

Curt

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:28 am

Cut trace to pin 33 on the 3.5" drive if you need both of them on the bus.

sncboom2k

Post by sncboom2k » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:28 pm

Gary can you refresh the pics please? I cannot see them.

Thanks!