3D printed Dual Drive Box

Show us your setup and show us where the units are being used.
Dominus

Re: 3D printed Dual Drive Box

Post by Dominus » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:37 pm

Hmm, from the manual it looks to me as if the proper wqy to power the board would be the molex in the middle of the board. And as I understood, no need for extra power UNLESS you want to power a drive via the board and that is not recommended.

Alesh

Post by Alesh » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:49 am

Dominus wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:37 pm
Hmm, from the manual it looks to me as if the proper wqy to power the board would be the molex in the middle of the board. And as I understood, no need for extra power UNLESS you want to power a drive via the board and that is not recommended.
Well, the molex is directly connected to the smaller "berg" connector, and in the single drive box is not enough space for the big molex...

Dominus

Post by Dominus » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:51 pm

So does it actually power the kryo? Because from the manul it shouldn't
(6) Berg power connector to power a drive – or two with y-cable – via the board: You must use standard Berg connectors (also – incor- rectly – referred to as Molex mini) to connect the drive to the board. On the picture above, +12V DC is to the bottom, so the yellow cable of the connector MUST face to the bottom as well, with the red cable facing up (+5V DC). Incorrect orientation of the cable will DESTROY your KryoFlux board and/or your drive! You will also void your warranty (prebuilt boards).
and the USB should supply enough power anyway.

Alesh

Post by Alesh » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:35 pm

Dominus wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:51 pm
So does it actually power the kryo? Because from the manul it shouldn't
Tbh, i was looking more into the schematic than the manual, and the schematic suggests that the board can be powered from USB and (PWR_JACK) or (PWR_FDD1 / PWR_FDD2 <-- molex and berg connectors) depending on position of jumper (5V_VR/5V_FDD2). So the jumper switches between power jack and molex/berg, and power from USB is present all the time and cannot be disconnected. If it was harmful to power the board from other source than from USB (which cannot be disconnected), why would there be an option to do so? Maybe I'm exploiting the connectors for other purpose than what they are meant for (if there is no mention in the manual), but I can't see anything that could go wrong. I just wanted to have some indication that the unit is powered up, and this way the power LED is on even if the USB is not connected.

Dominus

Post by Dominus » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:23 am

Thanks for explaining, I really wanted to know why and potentially warn you if it were harmful. As you actually understand schematics and I don't I'm glad I brought it up. Now I learnt more about the KryoFlux :)