3D printed Dual Drive Box

Show us your setup and show us where the units are being used.
Alesh

3D printed Dual Drive Box

Post by Alesh » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:50 am

Hi, I just wanted to share my 3D printed enclosure that I created for my floppy drives and Kryoflux.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3089895

rcade

Re: 3D printed Dual Drive Box

Post by rcade » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:29 am

That's really nice! I can only print small stuff with mine...
-
Pete Rittwage
C64 Preservation Project
http://c64preservation.com

Alesh

Post by Alesh » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:02 pm

rcade wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:29 am
That's really nice! I can only print small stuff with mine...
Thanks, I have made it as big as my printer can print. I was thinking of maybe doing similar design, but only with single 3,5" drive - it would be smaller and without need for the power supply. And if you really want to get printed something bigger, you can use some online service like 3D hubs or such.

npomarede

Post by npomarede » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:31 am

Nice all-in-one drive box. I would be very interested if you create a 3.5 only version, I think I could try to print it at work :)

Nicolas

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:48 pm

Verrrry nice. Going to print a test of this...

Alesh

Post by Alesh » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:20 pm

So, here is what i have for the 3.5" only version: https://a360.co/2xAYX0h
But i'm not sure if the KryoFlux board can, or is meant to provide power to the Floppy Drive from the USB or the barrel jack.
I think it may be possible if the drive is 5V only (some 3.5" floppy drives need 12V) and does not require much current - there is a fuse on the USB input, but i don't know what value. Looking in the schematic, it looks like connectors PWR_FDD1 and PWR_FDD2 can't be powered from the barrel jack, unless pins 1 and 3 are shorted on the 5V_VR/5V_FDD2 jumper selector, which i don't think is intended to be done. And in case you do short pins 1 and 3, the input voltage is regulated by tiny 800mA regulator without heatsink, so i'm not sure, if it will be able to provide enough power for some floppy drives. Of course you can bypass it by bridging VR_D solder pad, but then it will have no overvoltage protection if you accidentally plug in wrong power supply. My conclusion is that it can be done, but you must know what you are doing.
I'll put it on the thingiverse when I know that everything will fit inside and it works.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:41 pm

Alesh wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:20 pm
But i'm not sure if the KryoFlux board can, or is meant to provide power to the Floppy Drive from the USB or the barrel jack.
This is very clearly described in the manual. Briefly: USB ports are limited to 500mA, this is what the board advertises. Floppy drives can draw up to 1A (1000mA) when spinning up the motor. This can permanently damage your USB ports. Also, running external power through the board is possible but will void your warranty as a PSU could easily damage the board by generating voltage spikes. It's simply not recommended and reserved for edge cases which are usually discussed with support.

My conclusion is: it can be done, but even if you know what you're doing... refrain from this.

Hope this helps.