Log all DTC output to a file

Have an idea how to make KryoFlux even better? Let us know...
spags

Log all DTC output to a file

Post by spags » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:04 pm

Sorry if this is a blindingly obvious feature that already exists, but I can't for the life of me find it if it does (in linux DTC v2.2 anyway) and I think it would be a "nice to have" feature.

I would like to log all of the output from DTC into a log file. Now I realised that I can pipe it all into another file, however if you are doing something lengthy (such as using a high number of rotations) then you get no progress until the very end of the operation.

It would be ideal if the output could be both printed to the console and optionally logged to a text file.

JohnF

Re: Log all DTC output to a file

Post by JohnF » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:49 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "you get no progress until the very end of the operation"...

>> It would be ideal if the output could be both printed to the console and optionally logged to a text file.

Is 'tee' any use to you?:

Code: Select all

dtc -fxxx -i0 2>&1 | tee output.log

spags

Post by spags » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:08 pm

Ooh, that looks promising.

What I meant by the lack of progress on piping was that you issue the command and then because there was no console output (it's being piped to a file) the only response you get is when the prompt comes back after the command completes.

'tee' looks like it would solve that problem. Thanks, I'll have to give that a try.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:25 am

I'd say (I am tempted to) this is "well known standard procedure". :)

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:51 pm

On Windows there is no "tee" (at least not without installing cygwin or downloading it from somewhere else) so an option like that would be really helpful there. I do all my dumping with batch files on Windows and I want to keep the log files for reference, and the only way to do it right now is with "> output.log" which, obviously, makes output disappear from the console. Errors still show up (luckily) but other than that there's no way of seeing any progress indication.

It's surely not very difficult to add a "-log file.txt" option to DTC, right?

Feltzkrone

Post by Feltzkrone » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:45 pm

It's not very difficult to get and use wintee either. ;-)

There's also an alternative - UnxUtils - which includes a tee.exe: http://sourceforge.net/projects/unxutils/

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:55 am

We're currently spending all Dev time on features that can't be added with external tools. We'll put this on a list for later. Even if it's just a small feature, you might have noticed we strive for a high quality and reliability of the software. Regression testing takes a lot of time and the log output is just everywhere. Although highly unlikely it might break something so....