USB PC Floppy Drive

Have an idea how to make KryoFlux even better? Let us know...
TotO

USB PC Floppy Drive

Post by TotO » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:54 pm

I don't find how to simply use Kryoflux like a simple PC floppy drive ? (USB bridge)
Is it a missing feature, or I'm so bad ? :D

mr.vince

Re: USB PC Floppy Drive

Post by mr.vince » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:24 pm

It never was intended to simulate a standard floppy drive. We discourage using floppy disks for "casual" work, this is why this feature has not been implemented. Nevertheless, this can be done and we look forward to someone doing this once the source + info on how to talk to the device is out. Anyone interested in doing this right now, just contact us for the source.

TotO

Post by TotO » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:14 pm

Like you know, USB Floppy drive do not allow to restore image disk (protected or not) for using it on a real hardware.
So, today, we have to keep a old towered computer only for this task. It's why, I think it was a good stuff for "vintage gamers".
But, I understand your point of view and thanks you to not closing the door to someone.

IFW

Post by IFW » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:49 pm

Writing will make creating a new disk possible that you can use like er... a real disk on real hardware - since it is very real ;)
Is that what you need?

TotO

Post by TotO » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:01 pm

True.
I need first to write .DSK (CPC) .ADF (Amiga) files to 3.5" floppy disc for testing my programs on a real hardware.

Specfreak

Post by Specfreak » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:35 pm

For writing CPC/Spectrum EDSK files back to real 3" and 3.5" disks you can already do this with SamDisk:
http://simonowen.com/samdisk/
Providing you have a relevant drive hooked up to your PC.
It can even write copy protected disks back, but I forget how well it worked writing back to 3.5" or whether they worked
as opposed to 3".
You also needed the 3" drive to rotate at 200rms (or was that rpms, I always get confused).

There are some notes about this on Simon's Website:
http://simonowen.com/samdisk/plus3/

I'm not sure if that's the information your looking for ?

Still it's all good !