4 drive support

Have an idea how to make KryoFlux even better? Let us know...
OCMoe

4 drive support

Post by OCMoe »

I don't know if this is possible at all, but older drives have drive ID jumpers that seem to allow 4 drives (DS0 through DS3, with DS1 usually set). I have looked into the interface specs at some time (in my lab, there's something I designed for preserving floppies and which works a lot like like the KF---looks like I won't finish that project :) ), but I couldn't see an obvious way to select the other two drives. Maybe I missed something, or my description of the connector is incomplete.

Given a suitable cable (assembling this probably isn't much of a problem) and suitable drives (at least two with DS2/DS3 jumpers), could the KF be made to drive 4 drives, as in: one 3", one 3.5", one 5.25" and one 8"? It would be the perfect preservation station.

IFW

Re: 4 drive support

Post by IFW »

Yes, it should be possible, but would:
- require software support
- two more output lines with drivers

..or you can use select 0/1 and a demultiplexer based circuit to convert the 2 lines to 4 lines as if they were a binary number without any change in the existing hardware :)
Once you have that I can add software support to make it work properly.

OCMoe

Post by OCMoe »

Is variant 1 feasible on the existing KF board?

I'm not afraid of variant 2, however. Sounds llike a single 74whatever demux chip to me.

IFW

Post by IFW »

I don't think there are two additional lines with drivers that would support the required two extra select lines.
The easiest thing would be a simple switch/splitter for the connector though - then you might as well have dozens of drives hooked up without any changes...

Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

This is something I've been thinking about too - I haven't had a close look at the signal lines but I wonder whether it would be as simple as connecting a two-pole double-throw switch to the middle of the cable to point the drive select line(s) at different drives?

IFW

Post by IFW »

Anything you can think of, really... depends on how elegant you want the solution to be :)

mr.vince

4 drive support

Post by mr.vince »

There are other things I'd prefer to work on (e.g. 8 inch). Any cheap solution will greatly enhance noise and interference. I always use the shortest cable available and only a single drive; two drives is the max I would want to support...