77-track "Japanese style" disks

Have an idea how to make KryoFlux even better? Let us know...
brightcaster

Re: 77-track "Japanese style" disks

Post by brightcaster » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:48 pm

No, the 40-pin connector is parallel ATA and the 34-pin is Shugart. The main difference is that with ATA the controller is on the drives side, where on the Shugart-bus the controller is on the computers side! So very different to each other and an almost incompatible concept....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shugart_bus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA

David

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:34 am

ssybesma wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:44 pm
Can a 40-pin IDE SuperDisk drive be made to work with a KryoFlux using an adapter that converts to 34-pin?
No.

Does your IDE SuperDisk even still work? These are rather fagile devices. I've heard that putting a cleaning disk in them will destroy the read mechanisim.

ssybesma

Post by ssybesma » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:27 am

Sorry to hear that. I assume nobody ever investigated. I didn't find anything one way or another that was authoritative. I know, 40 pin source going into 34 pin target. Depends on which pins are needed and what they're used for, though. One thing we know on the 40-pin end device, no need to write to it, just read. Those write pins are out. Would be an interesting thing to investigate, which I'm doing now. This is where some people come in and shoot you down and say "what a <fill in the blank> idea". But it's a worthy idea due to the sophistication of those drives and they are on average newer than most old school internal floppy drives and may be found in better condition since they may not have been used as heavily.

As far as the drive I have working, that part I don't know but I could test it being I have a setup to attach ATA hard drives to my computer via USB. It was working the last time I used it and it wasn't used heavily.

True the heads are much smaller and are guided by laser.

Thanks!

Steve

ssybesma

Post by ssybesma » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:15 am

On a separate subject, if you know how I can contact this 'John' person I saw mentioned who had been doing calibration, mods, repairs on FDDs, I would like to contact him and pay for my Sony and Teac drives to get done.

Would be well worth doing.

Thanks!

Steve

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:09 am

You don't have acces to the pure datastreams from the heads with the 16 bit wide ATA-Bus. The data is allready decoded and transfered in 512 byte blocks rather than streams! So it's the same as with USB floppy drives. You can't read any other format with them than those allready supported by the inbuild controller!

So this is authoritative and I'm sorry to say it is impossible to use a LS120 SuperDrive to feed bitstreams to the kryflux. It has nothing to do with "shooting down" somebodies opinion, but we have to face the facts! No further invastigation worth it!

David