Detect disk type

Have an idea how to make KryoFlux even better? Let us know...
barkingboy

Detect disk type

Post by barkingboy »

OK, so this may be possible already...

But is there a way for the software to analyse a disk in the drive and determin what type of disk format is used? Sometimes I have disks and don't know if it is Amiga DOS, PC, Apple, Custom format or just corrupted.

Thanks!

IFW

Re: Detect disk type

Post by IFW »

No, it's not - if you don't know what it is, the easiest thing to do is dump it to a stream and then try the various formats supported directly using the stream file as a source.
This is something that could be considered for a front-end functionality.

itix

Post by itix »

It is not always so simple... I have got floppy disks you can use on PC, Amiga and Atari ST.

IFW

Post by IFW »

Yes, some games and magazine coverdisks at least were released as a single disk holding multi-format disk encoding.

In those cases you can convert a stream file to all of those formats at the same time or separately to individual sector dump files, but determining the format can be very problematic - it's better if the user actually knows the target platforms for such disks.

Disk areas that do not belong to the target platform of the sector dump will be filled with the default disk filler value for that system.

IPF files support multi-format disks though and in fact we do have multi-format diks already preserved that work on all of their target platforms from the very same IPF image.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

itix wrote:It is not always so simple... I have got floppy disks you can use on PC, Amiga and Atari ST.
Would be nice to dump them as stream files. We could IPF them...