Software features that I'm missing

Have an idea how to make KryoFlux even better? Let us know...
Rixa

Software features that I'm missing

Post by Rixa »

I would much appreciate a command line option to load a specified firmware file, overriding whatever the board might already have in memory. The current filesystem level method of choosing between the slow and the fast firmware is quite inconvenient if you ever need both (DTC only looks for "firmware.bin" and you need to make sure somehow that what it finds first is what you want loaded). An ability to reset the board from software would also be nice.

These functions would be especially handy because having put the board and the drives in a nice casing, I no longer have very convenient access to the physical reset button. I also can't see the LEDs on the board anymore so I can't verify with a glance if it is powered up before connecting power to the drives (this is important, right?) If I could just start my Kryoflux session by explicitly loading the firmware that I want (slow for 5.25", fast for 3.5") without trying to talk to the drives in the process, that would in itself verify that the board is up and its safe to connect power. And of course, the ability to change firmware without physically resetting or disconnecting the board could come in handy.

I don't care if these would be a new feature of DTC or some second utility. Am a Linux user.

IFW

Re: Software features that I'm missing

Post by IFW »

That would require additional communication and bootstrap code. While not impossible to do, and I've put on the requested features, it's not trivial to do either and could just use up very valuable memory - the software reset and firmware re-download part.
Adding a direct filename for the firmware is considerably easier :)

Rixa

Re: Software features that I'm missing

Post by Rixa »

Just the option to load a named firmware file to a freshly powered board would already help me a bunch, as long as it's not doing anything with the drives while doing it.