E-MU SP1200

Have an idea how to make KryoFlux even better? Let us know...
mikedean

E-MU SP1200

Post by mikedean »

Hi,

I am interested in Kryoflux for use with my old library of SP1200 disks. The idea of eliminating the floppy drive with a Hxc emulator and images created/backedup with Kryoflux is very promising and could add years of new life to my old SP. I will place my order and when I get my board I will dump some of my disks and submit them unless that has been done. SP1200 support would increase the user base substantially I am sure.

Mike

IFW

Re: E-MU SP1200

Post by IFW »

Hi Mike,

We do not have any SP1200 disks dumped.

However, if it is something that is unlike any other format - like the Emulator I and II disks supported now are - it will require significant amount of time and research to get it working.
For the Emulator support the circuitry accessing the disk plus the debug/test rom was completely reverse-engineered.

I am positive that SP1200 (just like anything else) can be supported, but you may have to get hold of schematics, service manuals, debug roms etc for that to happen and from that point it would take weeks of reverse-engineering.

Of course, we might just get lucky and it could be something that is easy to add.
We'll see.

Cheers,
IFW

mikedean

Post by mikedean »

IFW,

Thank you. I will start gathering that information and post it. I have service manuals and my SP1200 apart for repairs. Hopefully by the time I get my Kryoflux I will have a gameplan and enough information to complete the project. This would be huge for the SP1200 users out there like myself. I know the disk format is different than the EMAX, and other Emulators. I am not sure if the hardware is different. Luckily I also have an Emax keyboard which I can compare to the SP1200. I'll be intouch... now if I can just get a hold of the Kryoflux or disk image!

Mike

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

Got some SP1200 disks from KTW CREW today... will make dumps...

IFW

Post by IFW »

Fantastic, I wonder what they'll contain :)

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

Seems to be identical to Emu II, except for 80 tracks format... I guess...

BTW: On the FTP now. KF testdumps folder.

mikedean

Post by mikedean »

mr.vince wrote:Got some SP1200 disks from KTW CREW today... will make dumps...
Nice!

IFW

Post by IFW »

Will post results once I have a complete disk dump - right now only the first few tracks are available yet.

IFW

Post by IFW »

I am pleased to confirm that the latest software you can download from kryoflux.com definitely works with SP1200 disks using the Emulator II mode.

There is one (cosmetic) issue though: the disks I have dumped are only formatted upto track 67.1 - and seems like they are basically the same disk copied with only a few hundred bytes of difference.
That means you'll have 86016 bytes extra data added to each disk image containing all 0 values.

If I had proof, that all of the disks are like that, I'd change the minimum track count for the format accordingly.
The question is:
- are users bothered by the extra bytes added at all (when compressed they would take about 3 bytes... ;))
- can we get hold of other SP1200 disks to verify this behaviour whether it's consistent or not

If you are happy with the empty extra bytes, you can use KryoFlux as is - just make sure to use the latest DTC version.

If not, you could just remove the bytes with any tool, or once i have definitive proof about the correct behaviour I'll change DTC to default to less mandatory tracks for the format.

mikedean

Post by mikedean »

IFW wrote:I am pleased to confirm that the latest software you can download from kryoflux.com definitely works with SP1200 disks using the Emulator II mode.

There is one (cosmetic) issue though: the disks I have dumped are only formatted upto track 67.1 - and seems like they are basically the same disk copied with only a few hundred bytes of difference.
That means you'll have 86016 bytes extra data added to each disk image containing all 0 values.

If I had proof, that all of the disks are like that, I'd change the minimum track count for the format accordingly.
The question is:
- are users bothered by the extra bytes added at all (when compressed they would take about 3 bytes... ;))
- can we get hold of other SP1200 disks to verify this behaviour whether it's consistent or not

If you are happy with the empty extra bytes, you can use KryoFlux as is - just make sure to use the latest DTC version.

If not, you could just remove the bytes with any tool, or once i have definitive proof about the correct behaviour I'll change DTC to default to less mandatory tracks for the format.
I sent some disks to Jeff at the Hxc Forums. One disk is a formatted OS 1.2 disk with no sounds or sequences and the other is a Factory sound disk also with OS 1.2. They should arrive sometime next week. Maybe he can shed some light on this.