Disk wiping support?

Have an idea how to make KryoFlux even better? Let us know...
TeaRex

Disk wiping support?

Post by TeaRex »

I was thinking, maybe a little option to overwrite a disk completely with binary zero (no flux transitions) would be useful? Especially if you start adding support for writing 48tpi formats on 5.25", so you can wipe those half-tracks... Just an idea really, not a serious request. What do other people think?

IFW

Re: Disk wiping support?

Post by IFW »

fyi: KF writing always completely wipes a track just like you describe before writing any data. This ensure a (somewhat...) factory new state, like you'd have for duplication and that protections that rely on this would work.
Do you need a separate wipe function or was it just meant for writing?

TeaRex

Post by TeaRex »

I don't necessarily need it at all. There's already such a function in Pete Rittwage's "Nibtools", and doing it on a Commodore 1571 would have the advantage that you can step a wide head in narrow steps on that drive, and thus really wipe out all data, even residues in-between tracks that might be a problem if the target is a 48 TPI system. Which I guess would be difficult to do with any kind of PC drive, right? It was really just an idea to toss around, and maybe see what other people think.

IFW

Post by IFW »

As usual: any additional feedback or thoughts are welcome :)

mr.vince

Disk wiping support?

Post by mr.vince »

We have something even better... The Neodymium Disk Eraser. It's an old floppy drive with a special PCB attached and strong permanent magnets instead of heads. Just pop in a disk and wait until it has finished stepping. After that it's like a factory reset. :-)

It's being developed by a fellow chap at a1k.org and we will let you know when we have some PCBs. Mounting magnets with hot glue is pretty easy. Don't toss your old drives!