generic MFM (.img) write support

Have an idea how to make KryoFlux even better? Let us know...
OCMoe

generic MFM (.img) write support

Post by OCMoe » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:52 pm

Hi!

Our Kryoflux drives take up the available drive bays of the archival computer, so we can't add a regular disk drive. It would be cool if we could use the Kryoflux to write the occasional disk image, like for a disk-to-disk copy of plain DOS disks, no copy protection or anything. Also, we'd like to work on copies of system disks in the exhibition, thinking of CP/M boot disks and such.

Of course, this would mean specifying the sector size, sectors per track and everything, but since no copy protection is involved, the sector header values (sync pattern etc.) probably don't matter, IBM-typical values should work. If it works for 90% of the devices, we would be fine with it.

mr.vince

Re: generic MFM (.img) write support

Post by mr.vince » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:37 pm

You mean something that works "somehow", "mostly", "should have", "I thought it would", "Is this broken", "Who made this sh*t" would be sufficient? ;)

Malvineous

Post by Malvineous » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:51 am

Since your archival computer has a KryoFlux connected, it must have USB ports. Have you considered one of those cheap external USB floppy drives off eBay? They work fine for writing PC sector-based formats (under Linux use the 'dd' command.) They probably can't write anything else, but if all you need is something you can write with a standard PC then it should do the job.

OCMoe

Post by OCMoe » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:41 am

Mr. Vince, if you put it this way, yes, that would be sufficient. Might become a support nightmare for you, but for all I know about the systems we have, it would suffice ;)

I've seriously considered the USB floppy thing, but CP/M and Atari ST are more prominent targets than actual MS-DOS. Both use MFM formats with differing sector sizes. I doubt USB floppies can write these. Also, don't forget DD (Atari) and 5,25" (CP/M).