On writing, should deal intelligently with write protection

Have an idea how to make KryoFlux even better? Let us know...
TeaRex

Post by TeaRex »

Currently, kryoflux doesn't seem to deal too well with write protected floppies on writing. The Windows version gives repeated "Error writing to stream device" while dutifully stepping through the tracks doing nothing. The Linux version usually segfaults or crashes with an error in free() somewhere in libusb. I can't check the Mac version as I don't own a modern Mac.

I think it would make sense to check the write protect signal (if it is connected?) and exit gracefully before doing any write attempts. Granted, it's really stupid if the user doesn't check the write protect slider before doing writing, but you know it has happened to you too... a helpful error message can do miracles.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

Yes, just use the search. The whole writing framework is a stub, that's why you need -l15 and so forth.

This will change in the future. The Linux version should not crash. Will point Adam to this...

TeaRex

Re: On writing, should deal intelligently with write protect

Post by TeaRex »

mr.vince wrote:just use the search
Do you mean the forum search function? I tried, but the words "write" and "protection" are both too common and therefore forbidden in search. And there seems to be no way to search for phrases as opposed to single words. The forum software seems to be quite restrictive to prevent a too high server load created by searches... since this forum isn't exactly facebook in terms of activity, maybe you could relax the settings a bit if that's possible?

This isn't supposed to be any kind of complaint, by the way; just a suggestion. I appreciate very much that this forum and your device and software exist at all!

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

Was on the road and could not explain in detail. Have to find out why these words are blocked, must be a per default block. Apologies.

This has been discussed before, must find out where. :)

TeaRex

Re: On writing, should deal intelligently with write protect

Post by TeaRex »

mr.vince wrote:Was on the road and could not explain in detail. Have to find out why these words are blocked, must be a per default block. Apologies.

This has been discussed before, must find out where. :)
Thanks, I appreciate it.