Support in WinUAE

Have an idea how to make KryoFlux even better? Let us know...
hawui1

Support in WinUAE

Post by hawui1 »

Will it ever be possible to use Kryoflux and its attached drive as a regular DF0: in WinUAE?
(and maybe have more than one as DF1: etc?)
mr.vince

Re: Support in WinUAE

Post by mr.vince »

Not sure. Would assume no. It's a crime actually using original disks in emulation, and severe punishment would be fine with me. ;)

Technically this would be possible, but making an image that is then used to play or work would make much more sense.
Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

mr.vince wrote:...It's a crime actually using original disks in emulation...
huh? Where did you get that idea from? You have any sources to that claim? If you couldn't use your original media with an emulator, many emulation companies would be out of business by now.

-Darkstar
mr.vince

Support in WinUAE

Post by mr.vince »

Feel free to write your own code to do this. We regard this as unnecessary and we won't encourage people to do this. In modern environments even the floppy can be emulated.
hawui1

Post by hawui1 »

Not sure. Would assume no. It's a crime actually using original disks in emulation, and severe punishment would be fine with me.
So who uses a catweasel should go to Jail? In my understanding (and I could be wrong) you can have WinUAE recognize the card and use its attached floppy as it was a real Amiga floppy drive..
But are you sure about this thing ? If Emulation is not illegal per se, why should it be illegal to use a LEGAL disk in an emulator? And why it should be legal to use an image of the disk whereas the use of the original disk it's not?? It sounds a bunch of nonsense to me..

However if the answer is no.. it's no.. dot..
mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

You did see the smiley up there? Nevertheless, yes, people using whatever product to use working, old magnetic media, to cater their gaming needs... should be locked away! :)

We come from a preservation point of view. For the sake of keeping the media intact... what's wrong with making an image and using the image to play? Is it the ticking and clicking sound the drive makes? This can be emulated as well. And there are wonderful hardware emulators like HxC that will emulate a floppy to real hardware.

No need to torture innocent floppies...
TeaRex

Post by TeaRex »

mr.vince wrote:You did see the smiley up there? Nevertheless, yes, people using whatever product to use working, old magnetic media, to cater their gaming needs... should be locked away! :)
And if you really have to, you can always use a copy.
Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

Maybe what you really need is a floppy emulator that makes the same noises as a real floppy drive, and introduces the same delays you would get with a real floppy, *then* there would be no reason to use a real drive any more :-)
hawui1

Post by hawui1 »

Nevertheless, yes, people using whatever product to use working, old magnetic media, to cater their gaming needs... should be locked away! :)
so, with the same concept, why using (and torturing) the real "iron" when you can use the emulation.. ?
so why bothering giving the opportunity to write floppies with your card if the idea is to go one-way only?

Apart that i have the HxC (along with a bunch of other HW) and I keep the sound ON.. it's just a matter of sensations folks.. I have a complete collection of any Commodore computer and I LOVE using them.. I love to hear the clicks and the noise the drive makes loading the files.. I love to wait 5 minutes of coloured bars while my C64 loads from a real tape.. in a world where everyting today has to be consumed as fast as possible.. and this just because it remembers me the "old good times".. playing one of those fancy games on a 6 cores PC that has a graphic board that eats 1000W alone doesn't mean 1 millionth of this for me.. it's the air you breath when using "the real stuff" of when programming meant squishing every single bit of processing power that makes the difference.. I bought your card to archive everything so that if one day the disk would say bye bye I have a backup, but for me the emulators and the files are just a POC I can use for quick routine operations but when it comes to the real fun, it has to be on the real HW.. I respect your point of view but I don't agree with you at all..
For the sake of keeping the media intact..
the media will NEVER remain intact.. it will go.. as everything does.. even if you don't use it (sometimes even faster)..
having a backup it's one thing.. and it makes sense to me.. using a surrogate to keep the original "intact" no.. it's not about playing.. it's about living again sensations that today are lost.. and an emulator will never be alike the original, exactly like a plastic doll will never be like a real woman :lol:
mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

Ok, I think we all know each others opinion now. We won't add real time torture of floppy disks to KryoFlux.