Disk/Game request thread??

Have an idea how to make KryoFlux even better? Let us know...
desiv

Disk/Game request thread??

Post by desiv »

OK, not sure if this is realistic or how it should be handled, but as it will probably come up more and more now that there is write support...
How could/should we handle requests for disks (from other people here or whomever??) with images that aren't yet in SPS??

For instance, I just picked up my next damaged disk.. It's Tetris, but it's by Spectrum Holobyte.
From what I can tell in CAPS/SPS, they have the Mirrorsoft Tetris and the Spectrum Holobyte "Super Tetris", but not the one I own...

I could just open up a begging thread (which this "kind of" is), but I can see this possibly becoming unruly if there are a lot of individual requests.
On the other hand, a single thread with lots of requests, could easily loose peoples requests...

And, it's possible that this forum isn't the best place for this?????

So, just wondering how this should be handled...

And, no, I am not suggesting people come here and ask for other users to send them IPFs.
I am wondering if we can come up with a process for streamlining the SPS WANTED section for Kryoflux users need I suppose... ???

Or just tell me to (what's the British phrase??) "bugger off" and quit posting!! ;-)

desiv

mr.vince

Re: Disk/Game request thread??

Post by mr.vince »

Raw writing will come sooner or later. This would enable you to write games that you don't have as an IPF. You could as well contact SPS with your dump and get an IPF in return... It might take a few dumps of different disks, but the title you are talking about can't be so rare that it's impossible to find another copy. On the other hand KryoFlux was not meant as a giant "DiskSalv", although we understand it's pretty usefull for this.

There are reasons SPS does not make images public. One single image distributed could jeopardize the whole project (which has the aim to preserve, not to distribute). Legitimate copyright holders can distribute the images, and SPS might start doing so, too, if enough copyright holders give SPS the permission to do so. It recently happended with Lethal Xcess that's included as a demo with KryoFlux write support. And yes, it's of course the dual format release that will run on both machines. :)

desiv

Post by desiv »

I totally understand...
And raw writing won't help me yet, as I don't have a working original to work from...

Part of the "pitch" so to speak, for this was to be able to repair original floppies. Which I have already done once and it's awesome.
I'm not complaining at all...

But I imagine that I won't be the only person who has a damaged original of a disk that isn't in SPS already....

The question is, what should those of us Kryflux users do?? How should we handle it?

If the answer is that this forum isn't the proper place for that, I totally understand...

While I'd love to get my disk fixed, it's not a huge deal now.. I can wait...

This post was more of a "what is the process" question for myself and others who might be in the same situation...
I was actually hoping that those of us that have Kryoflux devices might be able to generate MORE archiving for SPS..
If there is a place (forum or ??) for us (and others) to post our WANTs, I'm hoping that it will be more likely that people will respond...

But I agree, the fine line between helping and distributing has to be considered....

desiv

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

In the old days people would just ask someone that would ask someone...

People would not go to Commodore nor to the maker of their floppy drive or similar and ask them where to get the gamez. ;)

IFW

Post by IFW »

Here is an idea: find the game, and image it with KF at preservation quality, then submit it for analysation.
Then we'd be able to create an IPF out of it, and anyone who has contributed to the preservation would have access to it. As missing titles are increasingly difficult to find, some sort of organized activity would probably be the best.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

There's a ticketing system at softpres.org you can use for this.

desiv

Post by desiv »

I must not be stating my issue properly. (Although I do appreciate the sarcastic comments.. :lol: )
IFW wrote:Here is an idea: find the game,.
That is the part I was hoping to find a process for...
mr.vince wrote:There's a ticketing system at softpres.org you can use for this.
Ah... So there is a process... Thanx...

I'm not sure how much that generates, other than possibly getting it added to the "SPS Wanted" list...
My thoughts on that are that I'm not sure how many people check the list...
Although, now that there's more owners, perhaps we as Kryoflux owners can make a point of checking and encouraging others to check as well...

I can let some of the people I'm aware of in my local area who don't have a Kryoflux that they should get one :-), or I would be willing to image anything they might have that's not currently preserved...
IFW wrote:As missing titles are increasingly difficult to find, some sort of organized activity would probably be the best.
And THAT is exactly what I was trying to get at.... I never asked you guys for a copy of anything. I was asking about a process, which it seams you are interested in as well..

desiv

IFW

Post by IFW »

Yes, definitely.