Use as normal A: drive

Have an idea how to make KryoFlux even better? Let us know...
andre

Re: Use as normal A: drive

Post by andre » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:55 pm

This thread was about using it as a "normal A:" drive, so a direct access device. That is what I was considering.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:31 pm

Yes, and I explained why it won't happen. Apart from the fact that this won't be GPL'ed soon. We have no interest in this as other projects (e.g. HxC) showed how much feedback/code one can expect in return. There are people/institutions that have access and this is what matters to us.

Just for the record: there are proprietary drivers for graphics cards for Linux and it seems this model, although not fancied by the GPL enthusiasts, is working somehow.

But this thread is not about open source discussion, hence the talk about GPL ends here. Really. ;)

Malvineous

Post by Malvineous » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:36 am

Just for the record, if you want to use the KryoFlux as /dev/fd0 there is nothing stopping you from writing your own firmware for the KryoFlux to make it appear as a standard USB floppy drive. Since every operating system including Linux ships with drivers for USB floppy drives, GPL won't be an issue there because you won't need to write any drivers yourself. Of course writing your own firmware is no small task, and if you are capable of it then none of this is news to you :-)

I am curious though about the use cases - when do you need to read from and write to floppy disks in situations where you can't do the whole disk in a single go?

BBCMicroUser

Post by BBCMicroUser » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:08 pm

Just adding my 0.02p's worth to this thread...

Being a disabled person, it would be easier if I could use my Kryoflux board which has a 3.5"/5.25" combi floppy drive to any PC to read/write DOS disks when the internal floppy in the case decides to give up the ghost. So for something like this it would be an advantage for people with limited mobility.

I know this is unlikely to be done anytime soon, but something to think about for the future.

BBCMicroUser

e5frog

Post by e5frog » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:05 pm

What if you added a switch on the floppy connector to be able to swap between a cable connected to the KryoFlux or another device (internal floppy controller or some kind of USB version)?