Use as normal A: drive

Have an idea how to make KryoFlux even better? Let us know...
yarm

Post by yarm » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:15 am

I would like fit a kryoflux internally in my PC case to an internal drive. As well as making images, I would like to use it as a regular drive (for DOS floppies of course) in windows, is this possible?

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:23 pm

I think that's too much development work spent for some little benefit.

I'd recommend mounting it as you like and then making images as needed. Work with them, then write back to disk.

mikefitz92

Re: Use as normal A: drive

Post by mikefitz92 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:46 pm

So this can't be used to connect a standard floppy drive through USB to a modern OS (e.g. Windows 7) for purposes of standard storage? That's exactly the type of thing I'm looking for. I am considering building a new computer and no modern MicroATX motherboards have floppy ports (modern meaning LGA 1155 or AM3+ sockets). If it could support something like that, I would buy one - or perhaps a few more. My case has a molded-in floppy slot and it can't be plated over, and I still find the occasional need to save to floppy or read some old disk.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:24 pm

Exactly. This is a high resolution flux sampler. If you are looking for a USB floppy drive... these can be bought for some bucks from eBay or similar sources.

mikefitz92

Post by mikefitz92 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:34 pm

Well my goal is to get an internally mounted floppy drive to interface with a modern board because they don't make floppy ports anymore. I know they make USB floppy drives, but those won't internally mount, and I will be left with a dead internal drive and a seemingly redundant external, and I have multiple computers with this setup. Any chance a driver could be written to support something like this?

desiv

Post by desiv » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:57 am

Kryoflux is really for imaging.
If you really need an internal drive, something like this maybe?
http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-ULT40366-In ... B001N0RJMI

Not saying it can't be done, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

desiv

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:10 am

There are external USB drives, and there is KryoFlux. One is for using disks that are IBM PC formatted, the other is for preservation and other cool stuff.

dusty1000

Post by dusty1000 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:41 pm

You can get cheap USB internal Floppy Drives on Ebay.
These drives contain a floppy drive and also a multi card reader.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/DeLock-3-5-Front ... 1c1e34a022

M-O

Post by M-O » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:50 pm

I had also bought a kryoflux-board , it is a great idea, but also for me it was a matter of course that the hardware would be an usb-adapter for 3.5" and 5,25" floppy-drives and it has the additional features to make images of the floppies and emulate a floppy . But I think I was a little bit too optimistic.
Now I have build in the board in a Aopen-case with 3,5" and 5.25 floppy drive and had made some tests. Ok, imaging works so far but its for me not so good in handling because of the many software parts I have to use.
I can understand that the development of the additional functions isnt so easy. But I think the commercial value would be great if the board has 2 add. funktions:
1. usb-adapter for floppy drives
2. emulating floppy-drive capable of loading an image like the cd-daemon tool does.

in this direction I couldnt find hardware which has these features, yes there are floppy emulators like these from plrelectronics or ipcas, DTX-200 etc. but they are much expansive with a few 100$s and they dont have a function to create images of existing floppies. AND they all have a floppy connector not an usb, but newer motherboards dont have floppy controllers onboard.
For 5,25" drives there is no floppy-usb adapter availible like for 3.5" drives.

so far my suggestions to add more features to the kryo-board.

Malvineous

Post by Malvineous » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:37 am

I think using the KryoFlux as a standard USB floppy controller would be interesting, but provide little benefit for the huge amount of work it would involve. Given that we've only just gotten write support, I would rather the KF team spend their effort on improving these parts of the KryoFlux instead of spending months implementing USB floppy support for the handful of times someone would use it. Of course I'm sure they would be willing to implement it if you paid them the many thousands of dollars it would cost for them to spend their time doing it :-P Don't forget that there's nothing stopping you from learning about USB programming and writing a new firmware yourself that does this...

With the floppy emulator that is an interesting idea and one I have explored, but unfortunately the KF hardware is designed for one-way traffic only. There was talk of lifting this restriction with a new hardware revision but I am not sure if that has gone ahead, so for most KF devices it is electrically impossible to implement.

But if you're talking about cd-daemon style software emulation of a floppy drive, most (all?) emulators can already do this.