GUI interface for the new write enabled software

Have an idea how to make KryoFlux even better? Let us know...
kipper2k

Post by kipper2k » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:41 pm

Hi,

Will the wrte enabled software eventually have the GUI option as well as command line ?

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:55 pm

Yes, "when it's ready!" (tm)

:D

kipper2k

Re: GUI interface for the new write enabled software

Post by kipper2k » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:51 pm

mr.vince wrote:Yes, "when it's ready!" (tm)

:D
Hmm, I thought i had rights to "when it's ready!" (tm) :D

Dirkies

Post by Dirkies » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:22 am

still not ready I guess? ;)

Make sure to have a feature in there that is a life saver when dealing with dodgy disks:
when a verify error occurs during writing, and when the whole write operation is over, be able to just retry the bad sectors for a rewrite. Often old disks need a little scrub before they write just fine afterwards. I hate to redo a full disk write just for 1 or 2 bad apples which resolve themselves after some scrubbing.

Same remark for reading :)
-> Rattlecopy is the only copier to my knowledge who had this feature and as said before, it helped me a lot with dodgy disks doing sometimes 20 or 30 retries until the individual tracks were one at the time read OK and thus preserved.

ps: The Wildewutz write GUI is simply awful, no overview, no post-operation warning if there was an error, no logfile (nor can scroll up!), no verify and no retries.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:53 pm

Please keep in mind this is an imaging device.

Writing via the command line is really easy. If you don't like WildeWutz (which was a fun project anyway) it's as simple as using the -w switch.

Dirkies

Post by Dirkies » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:40 pm

yes of course, but since the writing support as a nice bonus, it is easy for me to write ADF/IPF back to floppies on the PC using KF, and then inserting those floppies in my real Amigas

And for the backup part, some floppies require a lot of retries before all tracks are read OK. It is just so time consuming to have to reread all the tracks just to rectify a handful of bad ones, with the added risk that a good read track may be read bad the next time due to the unstable nature of the old magnetic fields.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:42 am

Really, writing is not the focus of our development especially when, like here, it sounds extremely like the target media is damaged or needs proper degaussing. Have you tried degaussing the target disk? I don't mean formatting it, I mean really shaking the magnetic particles. We do have a disk eraser that does this and it works rather well.

Usually, a disk is good or bad. If a track needs more than 2-3 retries (except for some special protection which is hit or miss and where the write process will automatically adapt to this), the media is bad.

Dirkies

Post by Dirkies » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:50 pm

Ok.but for reading this would be a nice retry feature :)