Write support !

Have an idea how to make KryoFlux even better? Let us know...
esynthesist

Write support !

Post by esynthesist »

It's amazing that the Kryoflux can read exotic disks, which of course is the primary goal of software preservation !
But I'd love to have write support too ;)
I think I read on the website that the hardware is OK already, but the software must be upgraded ?
It would be great to be able to make a library of all my old floppies on my harddisk and to have the possibility to write them back to disks for use in old equipment.
I'm in the vintage music synthesizer and sampler scene, for us the Kryoflux could be more than a preservation device... it could become an important utility for daily use in studios !
Thanks.

tect

Re: Write support !

Post by tect »

Hi esynthesist,

I think the developers have this and many other nice features on their agenda already. If you look at the Kryoflux website, the notes-section:
* Hardware is write-capable, but write support has not been implemented in the software yet.
By the way, I'm waiting for ALL features on this list :twisted:

esynthesist

Post by esynthesist »

I think the developers have this and many other nice features on their agenda already
I know, I'm just pushing a little bit :D

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

No need to do that. ;)

I already demoed writing with proof-of-concept software and a very early prototype. However, you might have heard this before, we're a bunch of pretty picky people. Reading is one thing and takes great lenghts to get it done right. Writing is in fact easier (since you know what you want to write) but must be done very carefuly. If we release something out in the wild, people will start writing data with it. We don't want to be responsible for damaged data, so we have decided to not force it out of the door.

I can assure you... we've already written tracks with the hardware you have.

esynthesist

Post by esynthesist »

I can assure you... we've already written tracks with the hardware you have.
Fantastic.
I'm always willing to do beta tests ;)

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

Me too. Let's finish the basic stuff first... e.g. find out why certain 5.25" drives don't want to work... and then... for the fun part. ;)

slayer

Post by slayer »

yip, I have to admit this is all very exciting and real stuff, it'll help stabilise the value of our actual originals without fear of disks that won't work due to age
:mrgreen:
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
6x other AOS4.x setups

wirefall

Post by wirefall »

+1 ! :-)

I also work with old samplers and synthesizers in my studio (hi esynthesist! :-) ), writing preserved floppies would be great and important.

I've also some mid 1990s Apple Mac based music app floppies with keyfile authorization for HD installation (2 installations per floppy possible) and copy protection on the floppies itself. If I couldn't make copies of them, it'll be a question of time to loose them forever, as some companies are out of business for many years and the remaining couldn't help any longer, as they closed support for floppies years ago :cry: , though I'm a registered owner of this software!

So I need copies to have "new" authorization keyfiles in the nearest future, as some floppies shows up beginning degradation (loading slower and slower). You are my last hope! :-)

Thanks a lot for your great work!!!

IFW

Post by IFW »

On-disk based copy protection has to be reverse-engineered to make the writing 100% and would only be supported using IPF files as those contain all the information to make writing of copy-protected media possible.

It would be a good idea to get hold of an unused original and dump that, to see exactly what kind of protection it has in the mint condition of the disk.

IFW

Post by IFW »

For non copy-protected disks supported by the KroFlux host software writing of course will be a non-issue as the software will know how to write them properly, including e.g. Emulator I/II disks.