WebCam / batch processing =)

Have an idea how to make KryoFlux even better? Let us know...
IFW

Re: WebCam / batch processing =)

Post by IFW » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:07 am

That's some fun stuff you have there :)

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:12 am

I can second that. I wish we could build KryoFlux units from Lego for prototyping. :)

karadoc

Post by karadoc » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:58 am

Wow, that is so cool!

In answer to your question, yes it should be possible. At least, I don't see why you couldn't do call DTC multiple times in your own script - and the UI would just display the output as each one is being read.

MultiDisk

Post by MultiDisk » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:18 pm

Heh.. it was a fun build.. the rebuild improved it a bit.

Once you reflash the rcx (the lego brain) over to run lejos, you gain the ability to communicate to it live from a pc while it's running (although coding the rcx logic in the cut down version of java can be .. entertaining ;-) )

With lego mindstorms the challenge is you only have 3 motors and 3 sensors (without getting into multiplexing or other external stuff).

1 motor handles the wheels that drag disks from the base of the stack & push it more or less into the drive.. (just loose tho, not all the way home).
next motor drives a stick that doubles up as 'push the disk home' and 'push the eject button'
last motor is used to rotate the entire drive assembly, doing this means that 'push the disk home' & 'push the eject button' can share a single motor / mechanism, AND means I don't need a mechanism to extract the disk from the drive..

For the sensors (on the rebuild, which is a lot more reliable)..

The position of the drive is now read using a light/color sensor with a half circle attached to the side of the drive acting as a positional encoder. (sensor#1)

Then the poker position is read by a depression switch at the back of its housing, since the poker can only be driven so far back & forth, it's ok to have it vary a little each motion, as the switch acts as an anchor for the range to ensure it always starts from a known position.

Last sensor is using a long pivoted beam with the short end activating the other depression switch, and the long end allowed to 'float' on the edge of the disk.. this bit was the hardest to get right.. but essentially it's reading when the little cut-off corner of a 3.5" disk goes past, and from that it can tell when one disk has left the base of the hopper & entered the drive, and when the next disk from the hopper is in a feeding position.

Missing from this approach is any way to sort the ejected disks into 'good' / 'bad' as a result of the read.. but if I wanted to, I could get creative & use a cdrom tray in the pc via eject command, to move a deflector into the path of the falling disk to split them apart.

At the mo I've got a catweasel to read the disks via linux.. grabbing the image of the disk is tricky at the mo, either has to be read as the disk falls out.. not ideal, no sensors left to read that.. or has to be done in multiple grabs as the disk exits the hopper into the drive, then reassembled =)

The rebuild in MDF is intended to give the drive mount some more stability, improve the hopper dimensions so not to be multiples of lego bricks, and possibly I might have a bash at improving the feed mechanism with an oversize cam. Be nice to get the component list small enough that a standard mindstorms kit + a little mdf is enough to build a ripping station =)

IFW

Post by IFW » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:21 pm

I am speechless :lol:

RichAplin

Post by RichAplin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:56 am

Yes bravo, that's an awesome autoloader. Love that the whole drive rotates, that's neat.

turnkit

Post by turnkit » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:30 am

great idea to quickly document the sleeve and disk jacket front and possibly back.... maybe even at the same time the disk is being dumped