WebCam / batch processing =)

Have an idea how to make KryoFlux even better? Let us know...
MultiDisk

Post by MultiDisk » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:44 pm

Hi.. it'd be real handy to be able to associate a webcam grab (or photo, or scan) of what the disk looks like rather than giving it a text name.

Then when scanning an entire box of disks, can go back through afterward to figure out what to actually call the image =)

A sort of graphical alternative to autonumbering =)

IFW

Re: WebCam / batch processing =)

Post by IFW » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:06 pm

Interesting idea :)
Could you be a bit more specific how the image would be named then?

I guess img0001323 won't be very descriptive if later on you wanted to find something.

MultiDisk

Post by MultiDisk » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:35 pm

I was thinking the image would be saved with the same name as the image file.. then by sorting by name, and viewing by thumbnail.. I can 'find' the image that came from a disk =)

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:29 pm

Awesome idea. Guess it's only of interest when doing -i0, -i1 and -i2. The first will generate a folder, and for the others we could chose filename_diskimage.jpg or the like. Really nice idea for the GUI...

Karadoc??? :D

karadoc

Post by karadoc » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:10 am

Neat idea. I'm not really sure how to control a webcam, but I 'll look into it. I can't say when though unfortunately, we have quite a big list of stuff to get done...

Malvineous

Post by Malvineous » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:56 pm

If you're dumping a bunch of disks in the same format, you can get the command line out of the GUI and just run that yourself. If you combine this with a command to grab a frame from your webcam (easy under Linux and probably Mac, not sure about Windows) then you can do this all by running the same command over and over again.

karadoc

Post by karadoc » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:25 pm

Sounds like a job for the upcoming scripting support.
The UI will allow you to specify a script (sh, bat, whatever) rather than using DTC directly.
Hopefully it will also allow the script to interact with the UI to put up a dialog saying "cheese" or whatever, not sure yet.

Malvineous

Post by Malvineous » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:48 am

Interesting. Will the UI block until the script returns, or accept some extra output to make it wait? Just thinking that if the script wants to pop up a video-preview window of the webcam it may require temporarily freezing the UI. I guess if the UI monitors the script's output for extra commands like "pause" and "resume" it could work - although that may not be necessary.

karadoc

Post by karadoc » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:05 am

Well, the idea is that the UI will supply you with the DTC command to run based on the image profile you have selected.

Since you are running the DTC command yourself in the script (with any modifications to that you might want to make), the UI is just processing at the output. You will run DTC, and the UI will see the output and display that appropriately. If you happen to run a load of stuff before DTC starts, the UI won't care.

The UI will just wait until your script has finished, so you just need to make sure that DTC runs in a way that the script completes after DTC returns, i.e. run it inline, and don't background it.

MultiDisk

Post by MultiDisk » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:03 am

Interesting.. if scripting can control external programs.. then I could make one drive my lego floppy autoloader.. (yes.. lego.. real ones looked hideously expensive, here's some slightly older pix http://on.fb.me/ia6u2c , happy to give tips if anyone is insane enough to attempt a recreate.. tho I plan to rebuild soon using some mdf, which somewhat reduces the interest to the lego crowd, but I suspect that wont matter much here =))