Modified Drive (old method,) move to positive on failure

Have an idea how to make KryoFlux even better? Let us know...
Pheonix

Modified Drive (old method,) move to positive on failure

Post by Pheonix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:15 pm

Currently, when a read fails, for whatever reason, while reading a flippy disk in an old style modified drive, DTC just stops while the head is in a negative position. So, when you next try to access the drive, it enters into an endless track 0 seek. I have to physically reach into the drive and shove the head past track zero. Is there any way to set it so that if it stops while the head is in a negative position, it will automatically move the head into a positive position (or even just to track 0,) before it shuts down activity?

ZrX

Re: Modified Drive (old method,) move to positive on failure

Post by ZrX » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:58 am

Would require a modification to the firmware. Shouldn't be too hard to check if track 0 sensor is active when stopping, seek inwards and then reset back to 0.

We'll see if the firmware guy could implement it.

Pheonix

Post by Pheonix » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:09 am

Any news?

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:06 pm

Did you check the news section? ;)

Pheonix

Post by Pheonix » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:11 am

I was wondering if there was any new information on this topic? I just spent half an hour tearing apart the case I have everything in so I could shove my stepper head past track 0 again. I thought I was being careful, but for some reason, it ended up stopped below track 0.

I also noticed that there doesn't appear to have been any updates or changes for over 2 years now :( Has work on the Kryoflux stopped? It's such a handy tool, that I would like to see it continue to expand and grow. Things such as D64 (as well as other standard image format,) writing. Conversion to other intermediary formats (not archival quality but will preserve copy protection,) without depending on SPS to convert to full IPF (which also doesn't appear to be making a lot of progress.) I've seen a little work from 3rd party developers, and that's about it :(

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:30 am

This isn't an app, so we don't push updates every other week. The reason is every public release needs extensive testing of regression etc.

This is actively being worked on. Features implemented depend on priority and development support.

IPF generation is a different product and available for purchase from us right now. However, it's for institutions and archives, not for consumers. But there are open source alternatives.

Other features can be worked a around very quickly. E.g. D64 can just be converted to G64 and then written back to disk. Please note that writing never was and it also isn't our focus today.

If you want to see it expand and grow more quickly your donation will be very much appreciated. :) All Personal Editions are subsidised and paid for by pro users. Hence their needs are fulfilled first, e.g. upcoming parallel processing.

EDIT: Just wanted to make clear that a donation is not mandatory nor should you feel morally obliged or pushed. It's just that when it comes "for free", it's at our sole discretion when and where. Thanks.

Pheonix

Post by Pheonix » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:58 pm

Actually, the D64 write is mainly because, for some reason, without the mastering data I have been unable to get any G64 files to write :( Recently, I also, haven't been able to get RAW stream files to write. It's something that I intend to, eventually, ask about in a separate thread. It's not really a major concern right now, as my C128 is currently packed away, and I don't even have an area to set it up at right now. Was just curious about how long it's been on the list. When the time comes, I purchased a new written game for the C64, but the disk I received was bad, and the seller just sent me a D64 file since it isn't copy protected, but the game was a numbered limited run (I have #6.) When that time comes, I still have my XAP1541 to use (when I can find it and the modified drive.) So, again, I'm not exactly in a rush.

I have an area for my Amiga computers, but they are still in the process of being constructed. For testing purposes, I convert to ADF for writing (which works just fine,) since I'm mainly just using it for conversion from emulation setup to real HW setup (no copy protections to worry about.) When I start having to restore copy protected disks because the originals are failing (quite a few of them had to be read multiple times just to get a good archive,) then I'll worry about getting those to work.

The only IPF (and equivalent files for systems that don't have IPF yet,) I'm really wanting right now are for those games I want to play that I couldn't get a clean read of :( (SPS policy to provide to donators.) So having my own (or a 3rd party,) converter wouldn't really do me any good. The secondary IPF files I would want are pristine (un-played,) versions of those that I don't already have pristine versions of (again, self production of the IPF files wouldn't do any good.) Not something I need right now, though. There were a couple that I wanted to play on emulation now, but I managed. Long, and I assure you, completely legal (I believe,) story there.

My TI-99/4a has been found, but it also doesn't have an area to be set up at. While I do have the PHB with a floppy drive, I don't have any disks for the system. Lots of cassette tapes, but no disks. When its set up and running, I'll eventually start collecting disks for it (or re-collecting may be more accurate,) but, again, that's for the future.

I haven't replaced my Apple II yet, so that is also on the back burner. I may never actually replace it, though. I had an Apple II before I had a C64, but swapped them out because everyone in my area had the C64 (including the school.) So, I used the money from selling the Apple II to pay for part of the cost of getting a C64 & 1541. Ended up having to re-build my software library. But that was made easier because, as we finished a game, it would be given to someone else in the group to play.

It's really just the below zero issue, which I manage to avoid 99.9...% of the time. Right now, I'm just not putting the cover back onto the case. I'll want to put it back on eventually, though. If I had the money, I would purchase one of the drives with the new flippy modification (assuming one is available at the time.) I was mainly just looking for any sort of update. Reassurance that it hadn't just been discarded. That sort of thing. So... Thank you for the information :) I'll shut up until I start feeling nervous again (it will take longer this time - I hope.) Sorry to have been a bother.

On a side note, and just out of curiosity, is the 0 seek hardwired into the floppy drive, or a command given by the KryoFlux? In the latter case, it might be safer to implement the inward seek prior to the 0 seek on the start of a process, rather than having it check when a process is cancelled (or maybe both.) Though, that might also have issues if trying to seek inward too far is problematic. I admit, I just don't know enough about this. The last time I had this problem (the one that made me start checking how long it had been,) was because a I had a sudden, unexpected, issue right after starting a read. Was extremely tempted to find out exactly how many ways there are to skin a cat at that time :( Though my first reaction to the event had her hiding from me for an hour or so.

Pheonix

Post by Pheonix » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:18 pm

About monetary donations.... Well, I currently have a list of expenses that, I'm sorry to say, have a higher priority right now. If it was just a matter of re-collecting SW or a lot of the HW upgrades I'm wanting, I would probably put it at a higher priority (setting up part of my budget to that along with saving up for the next item on the list.) When I first got my KryoFlux, I had intended (after archiving my software & donating it,) to shift focus to aiding development in some way or another. I hadn't "specifically" thought on monetary donation, I was mainly thinking of donating time in one way or another. Though I hadn't actually given any thought on it yet. Thinking on it now... other than beta testing, I'm realizing that there isn't a lot that I could contribute in that area without quite a bit of study. By the time I finally finished archiving what I had, though, real life reared it's ugly head, and other issues have piled up on me :(

As far as funds go, once I have my currently owned systems up and running to a minimum standard, and my living conditions improved a certain amount, I can start considering monetary donations. I might actually reach a point where donating time actually becomes viable first.

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:21 pm

Now that I think about it, doing dtc -c2 once resets the head back to track 0 if the read was interrupted while below track 0.

Pheonix

Post by Pheonix » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:58 am

ZrX wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:21 pm
Now that I think about it, doing dtc -c2 once resets the head back to track 0 if the read was interrupted while below track 0.
Sorry, it doesn't do this on mine :( It has the same results (except it then reports the max track as 0.)