Better control section in GUI

Have an idea how to make KryoFlux even better? Let us know...
hydr0x

Better control section in GUI

Post by hydr0x » Fri May 22, 2015 7:48 am

I would love to see a change to the way the image profile dropdown works. The problem is that when dumping for preservation, what you usually do is select two profiles. However, it only shows <Multiple> then, which doesn't tell you anything. I take screenshots of the GUI after dumping to document things (of course I also have a log!). It's very easy to quickly open a screenshot to see if the dump was good. I'd like to be able to tell what kind of image I produced though by looking at that screenshot. Otherwise I will have to take a look at the actual image or log, which is cumbersome, especially as I can more easily look at the screenshots online via Google Drive etc.

Usually, <Multiple> means 1 stream format + 1 formatted image format. Would it be possible to show the chosen image format instead of multiple, or add that information to the text? I get that that would make the text longer and too long for the control maybe, which leeds me to another request: Make the name edit field longer. It's not long enough for a lot of disks and makes identifying screenshots harder. I know I can make the window larger to change this, but that will horribly distort the track view.

And while we are at it, please include the three common IBM image formats in the preconfigured profile list :D It will help new users interested in PC disks a lot.

karadoc

Re: Better control section in GUI

Post by karadoc » Mon May 25, 2015 9:21 pm

All good ideas, thanks. I suppose as you say, it is very common to use stream + something else, so it does seem a good idea to mainly show the something else (and maybe an asterisk or something to signify a stream format is also selected).

The edit field should expand when the dialog is resized, but I think there was some outstanding work on that. I'll take a look at it.

I think a new user will see a preconfigured list as whatever the installed version of DTC supports. If you then change anything, I think it is at that point they are saved (will check), so will not see new ones unless you click the import button to bring them in. Or did you mean something else?

Feltzkrone

Post by Feltzkrone » Mon May 25, 2015 11:00 pm

I think he means profiles for standard IBM PC formats like 3.5" DD/HD (720/1440 KB) and 5.25" DD/HD (360/1200 KB). How about offering some "add profiles from internet" functionality for cases like these? The following list could be used as a source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fl ... al_formats

At least it shouldn't be a problem to publish some predefined profiles as an XML file at some static URL, but I really can't say how long it would take you to do the Scala part.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Wed May 27, 2015 12:39 pm

Thanks for your reply karadoc.
The edit field should expand when the dialog is resized, but I think there was some outstanding work on that. I'll take a look at it.
Yes, but resizing the window horribly distorts the sector view, disqualifying it as an option.
I think a new user will see a preconfigured list as whatever the installed version of DTC supports. If you then change anything, I think it is at that point they are saved (will check), so will not see new ones unless you click the import button to bring them in. Or did you mean something else?
What Feltzkrone said, the preconfigured list is missing any specific IBM formats, it should at least contain the three very common ones (3.5, 5.25 HD, 5.25 DD) to help new users out.